Why does my pond turn green like this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This happened so fast. I think it’s after I put in potted plants(the mesh type pots) the it started turning green so I took them out and decided to only grow them directly in the pond in gravel now. How could I make the green go away?

Attachments

• DF02D167-B354-4EB2-A809-A6A161E8D5D5.jpeg
    DF02D167-B354-4EB2-A809-A6A161E8D5D5.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 62
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Nope and I actually put a pump with a small waterfall so there is movement.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I made a similar mistake last summer, when I placed potted hardy lilies in in my pond. The mesh and inner media the plants are potted in usually has some sort of fertilizer, which makes algae go nuts. Combine that with not enough shade, and the water looked just like yours. I do have 3 pumps and a bog filter, so it eventually cleared up. I ended up removing the plants from the pots they came in. I washed the roots a bit and planted them in gravel on the pond bottom. As long as they are the hardy lilies, they can winter in the water just fine. Mine didnt even lose all the pads over the winter, which was a bit extreme for my mid-Missouri location.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
As you can see, my water is quite green right now. I also have a good bit of string algae. I have some pond tabs in my lily pots, but no other fertilizer.

I've been busy making floating planters in order to get more plants in the pond. I'm really not worried about the green water, it's fairly clear and I know it'll clear up....it always does :)
4B2F4355-8BE1-4087-9753-095F0ADA1A8D.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Mine was greenish and cloudy in April. Once the temps warmed up and the plants really got going, the water slowly began to clear. I suspect it will be very clear by Memorial Day!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hmm actually now that I think, the potting media did have some fertilizer incorporated in it.. I don’t have a filter and only one pump. Is using an algaecide my only option now?
Also it is the exact opposite for me.. water was clear in April and early May when temps were still cool.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nope and I actually put a pump with a small waterfall so there is movement.
Movement won't deter green water if anything it will help promote string algae.it
water was clear in April and early May when temps were still cool.
Yes that's the way it works for everyone winter chill will put a hurt on algae but generally won't kill it it just lessons.

@Tula but your bog is just a year old now I imagine that will all lesson more and more each year.
I wish or almost wish I had a little more algae there's little for the 30 someone koi to eat. I prefer they ate naturally but the peach fuzz is a bit to minimal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ok should should I use an algaecide? Would that be harmful to my plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok should should I use an algaecide? Would that be harmful to my plants?
Are you planning to put fish in? If you are then don’t consider adding algacide because the aglacide will interfere with the nitrogen cycle that needs to occur to keep a healthy pond. Build up of algae is the natural result of too many nutrients in the water without sufficient competition to use the nutrients up. Adding algicide just treats the symptoms and not the root cause.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No plans on having fish for now. I took out the pots with the potting media in it, which is likely what caused the algae explosion so all I need to do now is get rid of the algae as the source of it is already gone.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
No plans on having fish for now. I took out the pots with the potting media in it, which is likely what caused the algae explosion so all I need to do now is get rid of the algae as the source of it is already gone.
Patience, once your plants get going it will clear. If you don’t have enough plants add more be it floatingnones like water lettuce or hyacinth or quick growing aggressive ones like water celery, forgetmenots, water cress, parrots feather, creeping Jenny.. All these grow quickly and are easy to pull out as they overgrown areas. Using an algaecide will clear it but all that dead algae will provide fuel for another algae bloom, better to just deal with the source of the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hmm actually now that I think, the potting media did have some fertilizer incorporated in it.. I don’t have a filter and only one pump. Is using an algaecide my only option now?
Also it is the exact opposite for me.. water was clear in April and early May when temps were still cool.
Mine was clear through the winter, then we had some warm ups. Just enough to get the algae going. My green stage happens for about a month in the Spring - then it goes away. I hope yours straightens out soon! I know it is frustrating...

Ask a Question