Why does pump/filter clog so frequently??

Reaction score
For years I had smaller type pump (about 150GPH) and I put it into a plastic filter box with bio balls and some mesh media... it worked great and I would clean it out about every two weeks.

Now I upgraded to little bigger pond (about 300 gallons) and a 350 GPH pump with one of those flat filter boxes that you hook hose line to your pump: http://www.amazon.com/Danner-PM1000...01796742&sr=8-5&keywords=pond+pump+filter+box

The water is clear however there is some normal pond debri and waste at the bottom.

Anyway, this thing now clogs after about 2-3 hours everytime between each cleaning. It's driving me nuts! What gives? Why does this configuration now clog and bring the fountain to a slow trickle only after 2 hours after cleaning out the media?? I plan on putting in a small water fall but not until I get this issue resolved.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Brian

adam9280

This is where the fish lives.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Throwing out some ideas:
1. You should see if any of the media is blocking the inlet hole inside the filter.
2. The media might be too fine if you're stirring up the water and large particles are being caught.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
What is it being clogged with? And is it clogged evenly? More info on the clogs please.

Reaction score
I would say there could be a number of reasons.
1. A more powerful pump will pull in more debris whereas the less powerful one will not have the pull to suck it in.
2. The bigger pond may have more debris in it, such as algae, dead plant material, bigger poop from bigger fish, etc
3. The new filter may filter smaller particles than the old filter, which would keep the water more clear, but clog the filter sooner.
4. ETC
I have to tell you, I think a 300 some gallon pond should have an actual filter than can be backflushed etc. That is just a small prefilter that should be used in a decorative pond with little to no debris to be handled.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Take care of the debries with a pond Vac if your filters clogging all the time I'd upgrade to another larger fiilter

Dave

Ask a Question