Why Is My Water Hyacinth Yellow and Brown

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I bought some Hyacinth a few weeks ago and they are getting yellow and brown. I thought I had a pic--but it was before it started to get yucky.

Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
take them out of pond put them in a tote of water with some miracle grow and they will perk up fast

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This year has not been a good one for water hyacinths in my pond. My first batch basically failed to thrive. I tried soaking them in fertilizer, but they went downhill from there. I bought another batch -- but those, from the nursery didn't look too good, either. I was ready to chunk them, but decided to try an experiment -- at this point, nothing to lose...... I root-pruned them [ cut off about 1/2 of the length ]. Before a week was up, they greened up really well, though no significant growth. BUT, the put out flowers!! What a pleasant surprise!

EDIT: Ooops! Forgot to add the pic! [BTW, the turtle isn't real]

image.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pulling the roots aff also seems to make them multiply faster, as does crowding them together for some reason. If I let them float around in my little patio pond, they take forever to divide. If I cram them all together in one corner, they double almost weekly. Weird little plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
This year has not been a good one for water hyacinths in my pond. My first batch basically failed to thrive. I tried soaking them in fertilizer, but they went downhill from there. I bought another batch -- but those, from the nursery didn't look too good, either. I was ready to chunk them, but decided to try an experiment -- at this point, nothing to lose...... I root-pruned them [ cut off about 1/2 of the length ]. Before a week was up, they greened up really well, though no significant growth. BUT, the put out flowers!! What a pleasant surprise!

EDIT: Ooops! Forgot to add the pic! [BTW, the turtle isn't real]

View attachment 82889
Those look nice. I wonder if the koi are helping with the roots and that could be a reason

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@LibraKoi If you have koi, yes that could be it! I only have goldfish and they tend to leave the plants alone.

@Lisak1 I just went out and made my WH move closer together -- told them they had to be friendly and had to get along with each other. Curious to see if that will make a difference.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@LibraKoi If you have koi, yes that could be it! I only have goldfish and they tend to leave the plants alone.

@Lisak1 I just went out and made my WH move closer together -- told them they had to be friendly and had to get along with each other. Curious to see if that will make a difference.

Some people actually hoop them or restrain them in some way to enhance growth. I have some up against the edge of a waterfall that I am pulling new plants out of every two or three days. If it's happy, it grows!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 Well that's interesting! As it happens, I have one end of the pond sectioned off with a back cord that hangs just at or below the surface -- it's to keep the WH [and a few other items like my floating turtle] from straying all over the pond. But in this case there aren't enough WH plants for this to restrain them like that. Something I'll have to keep in mind!

Ask a Question