Why is there a film on the surface of my pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Our wildlife pond (approx 3 metres x 2 metres) was constructed in summer 2019. We have stocked it with a few plants (lilies, grasses, oxygenators) although we need to purchase more once the Covid-19 epidemic passes.

I have seen a couple of frogs in the pond, and today I noticed for the first time we have some spawn, which is very welcome and, hopefully, indicates the pond is reasonably healthy.

One thing I'm concerned about, however, is that a thin, oily film has developed on the pond surface. There is a certain amount of surface algae too, but when this is cleared the film remains.

Does anyone know what causes this film and how I might get rid of it?

I should add that there is no source of engine oil (or any other sort of oil) anywhere near the pond, so I don't think this is pollution or leakage from nearby.

We currently have no form of pump or water circulation device. Might this help?

Many thanks.

Peter Burrett

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With out water movement, rotting plants can add a oil type sheen. Also pollen is falling heavily right now, at least here it it.

My stream ponds, (not running yet) have a sheen on them, they are full of plants. I am waiting for a new check valve so I can get it running again.

If you add a small circulating pump or a aerator it would probably go away.

Welcome to our forum!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Addy. There's no electricity supply near the pond so I've just had a look at solar pumps online - there are loads available, as I've no doubt you're aware!

Bradshaws have one or two that look feasible. I'll probably ago for one with a chargeable battery that stores energy and isn't reliant on direct sunlight for power.

Thanks again.

Pete

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1586443332900.gif
@Peter Burrett
A pump I think will really help ya as @addy1 replied.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you JW. A pump seems to be the way to go!
Thank you Addy. There's no electricity supply near the pond so I've just had a look at solar pumps online - there are loads available, as I've no doubt you're aware!

Bradshaws have one or two that look feasible. I'll probably ago for one with a chargeable battery that stores energy and isn't reliant on direct sunlight for power.

Thanks again.

Pete
ah NO ELECTRICITY is the info that would have sealed the question and answer. I will bet if you go to any pond that has still water you will see the same film somewhere in the pond. Its the oils from decaying plants and bacteria doing it's job . If you place your finger into the sheen i will bet it seems to run away from your finger .. this is natural pond oils. If you took some motor oil and placed in it some water and you got the same look and put your finger in it you'll find it doesn't run away it coats your finger ......RUN= NATURAL AND GOOD. .... STICKS TO YOUR FINGER = NO GOOD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ah NO ELECTRICITY is the info that would have sealed the question and answer. I will bet if you go to any pond that has still water you will see the same film somewhere in the pond. Its the oils from decaying plants and bacteria doing it's job . If you place your finger into the sheen i will bet it seems to run away from your finger .. this is natural pond oils. If you took some motor oil and placed in it some water and you got the same look and put your finger in it you'll find it doesn't run away it coats your finger ......RUN= NATURAL AND GOOD. .... STICKS TO YOUR FINGER = NO GOOD
Great, thanks. We'll get a pump to help disperse the film. It may be natural, but it's quite unsightly!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
a pump will only keep it from making the slick it won't do much to remove the debris that caused it is there any filters on the pond at all >>??

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure what kind of plants you have but trimming roots may help also .I trim my roots on all my plants in my pond .I have fish that help trim them but some times they get lazy and only want to food I give them .

Ask a Question