Why is they have to jump???

Reaction score
My big girl died today after a jump from her pond, I found her alive but she had beaten herself up pretty bad. I tried to save her but I just could not pull her through the trauma. She was a flumper as Dh called her. She will be very much missed by me and her wet friend Sunset. Her name was Sunrise as you see them from right to left.

Attachments

• 100_1049.jpg
    100_1049.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 326

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
well, I dont know anything about your pond size and such. but I do know that fish will jump if the water quality is not good, OR if it is too overcrowded.. Sometimes a pair of spawning fish will chase another fish to the point of wanting to jump out and move on..

You should definitely check into that to make sure it doesnt happen again.. if its something you can fix

sorry for your loss.. we lost a pleco (huge and old) from that.. i think it was lack of oxygen for him

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i think koi have it their nature to jump, i watch mine jump from time to time, get up on top of lillies and the hornwort when it thickens up to the point where it will allow, and sunbathe it looks like. sometimes for a minute or so. one jumped out of my basement pond, i did manage to save it, and it made a full recovery. it appeared dead till i picked it up saw slight respitory action. i held it under the out flow of my filter for a minute or two, massaged its abdomin, and slowly moved it back and forth thru the water. my water perameters were perfect. even the goldies jumped during the spawn, at least the females trying to get away.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Sorry to here that pond lady ,,I did enjoy the pics of that koi..

Reaction score
Water quality is good, she just liked to flop around, been doing it for 7 years. Just went to far this time. She was my trainer for new fish. Darn!!!

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss.

I have a large (seven inch), female Shubunkin that I have seen jump up and out of the water one time. I almost choked when I saw it happen. It was when the males where giving chase attempting to breed I would have to assume. I'm just glad that she didn't jump out of my pond.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I can see my lower pond while watching TV in my Family room. Every so often one of my Platinum Ogons (20") clears the water with his jump.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had a jumper this morning,, it jumped out of my raised pond onto the patio..When i touched it it moved, so i held it in the water a while and it swam away...Must have just happend

shikkaba

Not Just Another Number
Reaction score
That's really sad to hear. I'm really sorry about that. :profile:
I'd be sad if we lost one of our bigger koi. They're always the best ones to see in our pond.

Ask a Question