why is waldon pond green?

Reaction score
Hello New to the world of pond maintenence....and apparently uploading pictures to forums...anyway, I bought a 100 gallon pond at an auction last year. Then bought a pump sized for the pond to pump water over a large rock I brought up from the creek. I filled the pond with city water and started it with prep. We don't have a water softener, and very hard water, and live in the middle of the limestone belt. I then, a few months later, added ten 5" koi and one lilly. The fish made it through the winter along with the lilly. Now the pond is full of green water. I picked up some sludge reducer and used accordingly, but doesn't seem to help. Not sure where to go from here... P7040787_01.JPGP7040788_01.JPG

Reaction score
ponds go through an algae cycle.. keep filtering and don't feed too much.. 5 koi in that pond will soon be too small

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
year old pond and 5 koi probably means a large build up of waste on the bottom, higher than normal nitrates, and quite probable that your PH has fluctuated recently. This is the things that can trigger the bloom, But that's just the beginning. Now you'll start having health issues, water problems, and possible death to follow. To small of pond for fish load, probably far to little of a filter for those kinds and amount of waste they produce. Water temps are probably far from stable due to the limited size. Good thing is with Only 100 gallons you could remove a large percentage of the water and refill with water that is already the same temp. dechlorinated, and PH adjusted and fix the issue somewhat easily. But it's going to keep returning as long as that heavy of a load is on the pond. I would recommend either building a far bigger pond. (1000 gallons or larger for those five fish and that really should be the bare minimum, 2500-3000 would be far more appropriate for 5 growing koi. Or relocate those Koi to someone else and get a fish more suited for that size pond. Like one or two fantail goldfish.

Reaction score
thanks for the info. Just built a bio filter out of a planter pot. got the idea off of you tube. Don't know how it combat the algae problem. Seems to be filtering a lot of junk out of the pond. Going to flush it out in the morning. and continue to monitor it.

Reaction score
Every little bit helps. Hopefully keeping it going 24/7 for your size pond, it will do the trick. You could also have the water going out to the pond go through a basket w quilt batting in it to catch even more of the particulates. Best of Luck!

:goldfish:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Think we all go through that stage so just takes extra work to get back to normal

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
. I then, a few months later, added ten 5" koi and one lilly. The fish made it through the winter along with the lilly. Now the pond is full of green water. I picked up some sludge reducer and used accordingly, but doesn't seem to help. Not sure where to go from here...View attachment 45149View attachment 45150

10 koi in that size of pond is way too many. Like others have said, you need a much bigger pond for 10 koi. You could leave that preform as a lily pond and build a bigger pond for your fish. A good filter will help as well. A UV light will help with the green water, but with that big of a fish load, you will have health issues with the fish once they start to get bigger.

Ask a Question