Why shop brick & mortar anymore?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've always tried to support local shops in the past. Yeah, you pay more, but in exchange you get personal service, and the convenience of seeing what you're buying. Lately, I've been let down a few times and am rethinking my buying habits. I'm leaning more towards educating myself first and then purchasing from the cheapest place around. Usually, this means via the internet. Case in point; yesterday I went to the closest pond store to me, which is 45-60 minutes away, one way. I wanted to add some lighting to my aquascape setup. They had some aquascape wiring accessories, but their main line seems to be pondmax. I SPECIFICALLY asked the salesperson if the two systems were interchangeable, to which he assured me they were. When I went to install the additional light, I discovered that the take-off points on the aquascape splitters are 'female', as is the plug end of the pondmax light. I was miffed to say the least, compounded when I called them, and was told I could come back and purchase a male to male adapter for $16! I told them, I have a better idea, I'm returning the pondmax light and be done with it. Why wouldn't the terminals be "industry standard"? If you go to buy a lamp for your home, it will come with a male plug, right? I blame myself a little for not investigating, but everything was boxed up tight and sealed. Sorry everyone rant over!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
That's a great question, and I think it boils down to your own view of the big picture.

Are you the type of person that buys solely based on marketing and price?
Or are you the type of person that buys based on having a good relationship with a local business that also looks after you properly with support and education for the products that they sell?

If you "know it all" about what you want, potential warranty issues, shipping costs, issues caused because of delivery times...then buy online.

If you see the value in buying local; helping local businesses stay in business, appreciate that they have a relationship with a manufacturer that can go above and beyond a standard manufacturer warranty, have products and livestock that you can see before buying, have their staff come into your own business and buy things from you because of your existing relationship of buying from them....then buy local.
I buy local whenever I can. It benefits us all in the long run.

If you have a local retailer that doesn't have the knowledge you need to help you with your situation, find another retailer.

My closest pond retailer is also an hour away. I know what you're talking about. If you received bad information from an employee, go directly to the owner - they have a serious incentive to keep you happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
The biggest reason I buy local is "instant gratification." I know it sounds stupid, but sometimes I want something, and I want it now. The local pond place for me is only about 15 minutes away, but their prices are crazy high. The sales people are knowledgeable, the selection is pretty good, and the atmosphere is awesome (great ponds, tons of landscaping stuff, even a mini-zoo of sorts). I go there when I want something fast, and occasionally I'll buy something, even if I don't need it fast, just because I like supporting local businesses. However, for big ticket items, I buy online. Their prices are just too high, unfortunately.

Reaction score
Country
United States
While I like to go to a store and actually see what Im buying it isn't always practical (I do like the instant gratification part of shoppinf locally too) but if you have ever compared online prices to local you would be shocked to see how much of a mark up there is in store (even at the same store)

That being said I also like to be able to shop from home on my computer or even my phone whenever I feel like it. It is so much easier to place an order and have it delivered to your front door too (especially for those of us who work long days and spend most of the weekend time off getting caught up on what didn't get done during the week)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I struggle with this all the time. I really like the face to face shopping experience. If the prices at the local store are within 10% or so of what I can get the same item for online, I'll buy local. And I will pay more for a unique item - like a plant I can't find any place else and HAVE to have! I'll also pay more at a store where the employees are well educated and offer a "value added" that I don't get online. But when a store employs people who are not trained in the products they sell and I have to do all my own education on the Internet first, I will order online. A business like that, in my opinion, either needs to step up or get out of the market. Don't charge me more and offer me nothing additional in exchange.

We just paid almost double for a supply of fish food from our favorite pond supply store. They have great selection, educated employees, and they greet us warmly, ask us about our pond and fish, and treat us like they are happy to see us whenever we walk in the door. To me, that's worth a little extra on the every day stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I wish I had a place like that, Lisa. The only place reasonably located is the one I mentioned. I just don't see the point in paying extra for a "bum steer".

Ask a Question