Wicking question - problem prevention?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have underlay and overlay in the main pond. I am now putting the underlay/liner/and overlay into the bog excavation.
The pond liner comes up the waterfall/spillway area and over into the bog. So does the underlay and overlay.
I nearly shortchanged myself on liner for the bog - but I will be ok I think.
Since the pond overlay/fabric goes into the bog excavation and is underneath the bog liner, is it possible that the overlay from the pond could wick moisture out of the pond and pull it under the liner of the bog?
Do I need to be sure to fold that fabric up so it isn't touching dirt?
*** Also, see first photo of where pond liner is into the bog -- and how far the bog liner overlaps over the spillway. Is that enough? (Dang, I sure hope so!)

Attachments

• IMG_3632.jpg
    IMG_3632.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3633.jpg
    IMG_3633.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3634.jpg
    IMG_3634.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3635.jpg
    IMG_3635.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3636.jpg
    IMG_3636.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 36
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
And if you think I need more liner to work with at the top, I could always add some dirt to the bottom of the hole. Right now, it's about 24" deep.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Since the pond overlay/fabric goes into the bog excavation and is underneath the bog liner, is it possible that the overlay from the pond could wick moisture out of the pond and pull it under the liner of the bog?
The underlays should lap each other , which way doesn't matter they are to stop rocks.

Liner, pond liner should go into the bog but once it reaches the maximum height of the bogs wall/ BERM that's all that will be of benefit. unless you find your berm is too low for an overlap and need to build it up more, then the bog goes over the pond liner.

overlays now matter not they are within the liner and are just to protect from punctures if something wicks its within the liner.

NOW THE EXCEPTION COMES IN ALONG THE outside of the PONDS WALL , if you have low sides then you want to keep the overlay from going up to the highest point of the sides berm. from there your just tucking the liner in along the edges . but if you have folds in the liner less than 2 inches above the water line i'd hit them with a quick bead of caulking.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i would pull back the bog liner where it overlaps the bog to pond wall , pull back pond overlay that is now under the bog liner . place bog liner onto the liner of the pond. replace the pond overlay over the berm to the bog and install the overlay to the bog. if the overlay from the pond is all one that goes into and covers the bog then that is the last layer just cut it or fold it up under the coping stones. i just noticed there is no coping /edging stone shelf?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
i would pull back the bog liner where it overlaps the bog to pond wall , pull back pond overlay that is now under the bog liner . place bog liner onto the liner of the pond. replace the pond overlay over the berm to the bog and install the overlay to the bog. if the overlay from the pond is all one that goes into and covers the bog then that is the last layer just cut it or fold it up under the coping stones. i just noticed there is no coping /edging stone shelf?
There is but it is hard to see with all the poofy layers of liners and geotextile fabric. It isn't super wide but I figure I will have the support of the gravel from the bog if a top stone needs to rest on it a little bit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
hard to tell from the photo, but does this side of the bog need to come up more? Seems like it could be a bit low, but again hard from the angle I’m looking at. I’m going off the assumption the water will spill where it’s blue

Attachments

• 851D867C-C8A3-4A09-A209-5FF39247DB23.jpeg
    851D867C-C8A3-4A09-A209-5FF39247DB23.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oh wait -- do you mean a coping shelf around that outside edge closest to the shed? Yes - you are correct. I didn't think about doing it that way and now I don't think I can, due to the lack of extra liner. I think I will treat it almost like an above ground bog, in that any decorative rocks will be outside of the liner, rather than on top of the liner, sunk on a shelf. I thought I would hide the 6 inches of liner at the top with cobbles. It won't look natural, but hopefully the plants will disguise some of that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
hard to tell from the photo, but does this side of the bog need to come up more? Seems like it could be a bit low, but again hard from the angle I’m looking at. I’m going off the assumption the water will spill where it’s blue
Surprisingly, it is level!!! With all the weird hills and dips and whatnot, it really is hard to tell. I have second guessed and gone back with the laser level multiple times in multiple places! It is very disorienting!
The plan is actually for the water to spill in two places. If you look closely, you can see two notches in the top of the wall. It is hard to see with the bulkiness of the liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am pointing at the notches on the screen.

Attachments

• IMG_3637.jpg
    IMG_3637.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3638.jpg
    IMG_3638.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Ah, I see it now. Definitely a lot of slopes so I was having trouble seeing it. Looks good.
Thank you! I am really turning this whole bog thing over and over in my mind. We will see if it works out. I was just realizing if I keep the water level 6 inches below the top edge (to allow for expansion and water level rise due to roots and such) my overflow notches may not be deep enough. I think tomorrow, when I use GBBUDD's suggestions about the arrangement of liner and overlay, I might deepen the notches.
It is so hard to guess what the flow of water will be like. I guess we will see in the end!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Thank you! I am really turning this whole bog thing over and over in my mind. We will see if it works out. I was just realizing if I keep the water level 6 inches below the top edge (to allow for expansion and water level rise due to roots and such) my overflow notches may not be deep enough. I think tomorrow, when I use GBBUDD's suggestions about the arrangement of liner and overlay, I might deepen the notches.
It is so hard to guess what the flow of water will be like. I guess we will see in the end!
I only gave myself 2" for water level change, as the spillways should dictate the water level over time. I know people say whe water level rises, but it really should jsut stay at the level the spillways are at.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I might deepen the notches.
ITs so much easier to take a couple rocks or some wood to close up an opening then to have it be to narrow and possibly clog from plants etc. many ways to close up too wide only one way to widen too narrow

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know people say whe water level rises, but it really should jsut stay at the level the spillways are at.
look at it like this when you first put a plants in a pot the roots are hardly anything but as the plant grows the roots fill the pot you didn't add soil but the plant keeps growing and adding roots.

I just spent 6 k on root expansion well one of the reasons

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
ITs so much easier to take a couple rocks or some wood to close up an opening then to have it be to narrow and possibly clog from plants etc. many ways to close up too wide only one way to widen too narrow
Good point! I will do some fine tuning tomorrow. I am going to take the level and check all the areas one more time - I will widen the notches!

Ask a Question