Wife said "That's too big"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Bought a house 2 years ago and have a nice place for a pond. Wife said she would love to have a koi pond so I start designing. Did tons of research and learned go big as you can or you will regret it. So I designed a really nice pond, about 4k gallons, aerated bottom drain, skimmer, external pump, Skippy filter, waterfall, drew it all up in CAD. I don't gotta tell you how much research, thought and planning this took.
So we were in the backyard doing yard work and she asked me to show her the layout of the pond. So I took a shovel and drew it out on the ground and her jaw dropped and said its way too big. She told me what she had in mind and it turns out she wants more of a water feature that would turn out to be 1000 gallons in I made it 4' deep. This broke my heart, I have been dreaming of a bad ass pond that is fit for living jewels. Turns out I get gold fish. (no offense to the Goldie fans). Thing is I don't want to spend the money, dig the hole and do the maintenance for a gold fish puddle. I'm thinking I compromise to a 1500 - 2000 gallon pond and just go forward. What is she gonna do? Fill in my hole? I think she would love it when it is done. Or just can my dream and put in a disappearing waterfall....
I have had fish tanks my whole life, including a really cool reef tank for the last 6 years that I recently took down. So I have a good understanding of water chemistry, bio processes and maintenance skills already. I even have a 175 gallon tub for the filter and a UV light in the garage just waiting for the day......:fish2:

Reaction score
HAHA!! When our liner floated this Spring and we were considering our pond a total disaster and thinking we'd give up and just fill the hole back in, hubby and I thought it might be a good place to put the daughter's boyfriend's body if it came down to that. :lol:

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Could always design one like mine. I didn't want a large footprint for my pond, so my shallow end is 3', sloping to 6'. 3000 gallons, but not "too big".

Reaction score
Ok ok in all seriousness dig it if she doesn't like how big it is give her the shovel and tell her to start filling it back in J/k. I hope ur wife doesn't read this forum we will be in trouble

Also it only looks big when u are outlining it. Once dug, lined, and beutified it will seem much smaller then what u started with

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Lets get this straight, I wear the pants.
She just tells me which ones.
I haven't been married long but I have learned that a happy wife is a happy life. I think I'm gonna take a chance on the pond though because I would really enjoy it and she would too. The ironic thing is I could use the pond to calm my nerves after she complains that I made it too big.

Reaction score
Compromise. Cut yours down a 1000 gallons and build the one she wants next to the bigger one. And then tell her " I built the size you wanted". No arguing with that.

Reaction score
bsr8129 said:
Ok ok in all seriousness dig it if she doesn't like how big it is give her the shovel and tell her to start filling it back in J/k. I hope ur wife doesn't read this forum we will be in trouble

Also it only looks big when u are outlining it. Once dug, lined, and beutified it will seem much smaller then what u started with

+1 they always look smaller once filled and the rocks are around it

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Dig it like you want and tell her its only 500 gal :lol:

Reaction score
jesus, sounds like you need to tell her this is what you really want. hopefully its not a question of which one you want to end up with the pond or your wife.
I love ponds, but just doing something would just seem to set you up for more problems down the road. Besides it would be much more rewarding if you didnt have to look at it and think of what you had to do to get it.Just my two cents
Hope you get your pond, as its as freeking awesome as what you been planing

Ask a Question