Wiggly mystery

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
Tonight I was netting the pond; still have late spring leaves and debris blowing around, so I have to keep at it. Most passes along the bottom brought up EARTHWORMS! Probably dozens of them after several passes, many of them still wiggling. I would swear there was a hole in the liner that they were coming in, but I'm not losing any water. Where on earth (no pun intended) are they coming from!!! My daughter is convinced we dug a hole to hell :devil: but I imagine there is a better explanation. Any thoughts?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There are several species of aquatic earthworms. In their natural habitat they are found usually in mud, but sometimes in piles of organic debris but almost always in shallow water. In garden ponds, it is not uncommon to find them inhabiting filter mats and media. They are completely harmless and may be considered a snack by larger Koi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
Well, glad to hear we don't have a portal to hell ;) Maybe that's why my fish don't seem interested in the pellets I throw in.

Ask a Question