Wild Lilies - good or bad idea?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live near a lake which has an abundance of lilies. What is the general consensus -- good idea or bad idea to put a few in my pond? 4k gal with a bunch of koi/shubunkin.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not bad i.e. the plants, but make sure you clean the plants well you never know what is hanging onto them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I live near a lake which has an abundance of lilies. What is the general consensus -- good idea or bad idea to put a few in my pond? 4k gal with a bunch of koi/shubunkin.
[/QUO
Coming from a lake where people swim id be more comfortable with the say a pond you never know whats up in our ponds but like a day said lean them well

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I concur - the plants themselves should be fine, but be sure to check them out really well before you add them to your pond. I found some arrow plant growing on the shore of a natural pond in our neighborhood and thought "SCORE"! And it has been great - however, it brought along a friend... a cute, tiny, small, teensy, adorable little grassy looking thing. Oh it was soooo sweet that first year... year two it was actually quite pretty! Year Three - it was the Grass That Ate My Margin! I have spent the last three years ridding myself of that thing. Every time I think "there! it's GONE" it pops right back up again!

Show us what you've got!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My uncle used to have a home in Indiana near lakes and wetlands and it was illegal to take a water lily.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Show us what you've got!
Still needs some work. Added fish last fall and rocked it up this spring/fall...yes, I did it wrong :)
20200811_080520.jpg

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Before you plant it in your pond, take a piece of the large root and slice it up. If you see any worm tunnels in it, toss it! VOE!!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you can contact whoever owns the land the lake is on, I suggest you ask them for permission to gather a few plants.

Ask a Question