Wild Pond Lillies?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've become obsessed with getting lilies already growing in a wild pond especially seeing what they cost from the pond stores. Has anyone ever done this? I only need to get three. I read online how to do it and it doesn't appear hard. I have the waders, the ponding "dirt" and the pots.

What is your opinion?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have many years ago. You need to be careful about removing native plants, they may be protected. The pond I got mine from now is posted that anyone caught removing plants will be prosecuted ( state owned property). Also you take a chance of bringing bad critters into your pond. Check Craigslist and local classified ads.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I got my first lillies out of a local lake after a violent windstorm tore through the area, uprooting many of them in the shallow water. Had them for years. Just take a good look at the rhizomes... if you see small tunnels, about 1/8" in diameter, leave them in the lake! Those grubs will eventually destroy the plant, as well as any others you may add.
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would consider craigslist or a local Facebook page for ponders. Most of us divide lilies every year and are more than happy to share! Easier and safer than trying to get them out of a natural pond IMO.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lisak1:

I took your advice and checked our local Craigslist. A woman one town over was dividing her lilies. I got 11 lilies for $50.00 ! Now I really kicking myself for spending $82.00 for two at the pond store....errrrrrr

Ask a Question