"Wild" Pond

Reaction score
We are thinking about going more "wild" with our 1000 gallon pond adding crayfish, minnows/mosquito fish and letting nature take her course rather than trying to preserve precious goldfish outside. We were also thinking about getting a catfish for the pond.

Anyone know of a catfish that can live in only 1000 gallons and won't destroy the plants?

How does this idea sound?

Thanks

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Want one that will stay fairly small, Bullhead catfish are great, there are several color variations, yellow, brown, black, and marbled. They only get about 12"-16" and rarely weigh over a couple of pounds. Where would you get them? Your almost going to have to catch your own. I don't know if anyone sells them. Albino channel cats show up real well in ponds, We had one that I kept in a 900 gallon pond for about four years, then moved it to a bigger pond for three more. When I had to take it out he was 22" and weighed about 4-5# Cool fish but they do get big! They can be bought and any catfish hatchery and most petstores.

Reaction score
Do the catfish mate anything like koi? Was thinking of getting a small albino cat that's smaller than the koi so he is always behind the koi in size and can't eat them. Was a little cautious on any breeding because if it's like koi then thier fin spikes might puncture the liner when slammed against it. Or do they not have spikes like a wild one?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Catfish usually mate inside of caves, and it's quite different than Koi. they snuggle more than rape if that makes sense. The male defends a nest until a female finds a suitable male, she will come in and lay the eggs in a large mass, the male will fert. the eggs then chase the male out and to find a new home. She will then stand guard of the eggs. depending on the species the male may stay close by and help or may go on to find a new home. I've never seen a catfish poke a hole in a liner and I've seen many mixed in with koi. I would advise betting a catfish that's large enough the KOI can't eat it. The catfish will pass the koi up at some point in size. As long as they catfish is fed well they usually really don't bother the fish that much, Now they are opportunist feeders so it's VERY possible for them to eat a small goldfish here and there.
If you want one that will show up, Albino channel cats show up good, get very tame, and can handle any temp Koi can. BUT they do get extra large.
I would like to take this time and mention one thing that some people don't realise. Catfish DO NOT clean out fish poop and left over gunk in the bottom of the pond. They eat insects, small crustaceans, small fish, and fish food. Plecostomus, also don't eat fish poop and gunk on the bottom but they do eat dying plant matter dead fish and algae. Pleco's can not survive once the water reaches 50 degrees. In fact they should be removed out of a pond well before the temp gets that low. They too get fairly large reaching over 30" long so housing them indoors for the winter once they get large does require a large body of water or fish tank. But IMO, they are one of the better pond scavengers during the regular growing season of ponds if proper care can be given to them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
orandawhisperer said:
We are thinking about going more "wild" with our 1000 gallon pond adding crayfish, minnows/mosquito fish and letting nature take her course rather than trying to preserve precious goldfish outside. We were also thinking about getting a catfish for the pond.

Anyone know of a catfish that can live in only 1000 gallons and won't destroy the plants?

How does this idea sound?

Thanks

malak a member on this site has cat fish in his pond, maybe send him a pm and ask how they are doing. Think he has 6

SE18

David V
Reaction score
When I was a kid we caught bullhead and they'd spike you really bad if you held them wrong, but they seems to stay small and might work out well for ya.

Ask a Question