j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Went out to take photo's of Mini Cattails and saw this up in our skies this morning! Awful wildfires near Mt Rainier here in Washington state. No one should be outdoors if they can help it! I wore an N-95 mask to out there to take these shots!

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My mother sent some pictures from Lake Michigan of the smoke, I guess it's traveled that far East :( I wonder if smoke affects a pond's water quality?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My mother sent some pictures from Lake Michigan of the smoke, I guess it's traveled that far East :( I wonder if smoke affects a pond's water quality?
I think if you were right near the fires it might be more of a concern to fish ponds. Being so far away I doubt there will be any effects on my pond. I'm no scholar on this subject tho so don't take my word for it. I don't see any ash in the air but I can't see minute particle's w/my eyes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
YES IT SURE CAN ... WE DON'T WANT RAINS.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i'M SORRY JW but what's it going to take for people to stop the environmentalist for insisting that every area be left as native habitat /?which is leave ALL the tinder behind and not create SAFE ZONES AND pockets . most of that area is high desert IS just waiting for a spark . THEY NEED TO LISTEN TO THE FIRE FIGHTERS MORE THAN THE ENVIROMENTALISTS THE ANSWER IS WITH THEM BOTH....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
i'M SORRY JW but what's it going to take for people to stop the environmentalist for insisting that every area be left as native habitat /?which is leave ALL the tinder behind and not create SAFE ZONES AND pockets . most of that area is high desert IS just waiting for a spark . THEY NEED TO LISTEN TO THE FIRE FIGHTERS MORE THAN THE ENVIROMENTALISTS THE ANSWER IS WITH THEM BOTH....
Exactly!
Proper forest management can prevent these fires from spreading. But the environmentalists, politicians and powers that be are idiots.
Clearing dead wood and creating fire breaks is somehow not environmentally friendly.
Maybe they're just too lazy or prefer to spend their money on dumb partisan racist agendas.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wildfires in this area where the Bolt fire was are extremely rare. Haven't had any for many years. I believe the area was allowed to just grow and grow and never had any clearing done to prevent burns. Now out of the blue they discover what can happen when an area like this is allowed to grow out of control. All our idiot thinkers here think it's all due to climate change. Almost 10,000 acres were burnt, but only 1 shed was lost, no homes and no loss of life, thank God! It is now 5% contained and our temps are lower now and we are getting moisture off and on. Hope they let this be a lesson to them to do some clearing and not let this happen again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wildfires in this area where the Bolt fire was are extremely rare. Haven't had any for many years. I believe the area was allowed to just grow and grow and never had any clearing done to prevent burns. Now out of the blue they discover what can happen when an area like this is allowed to grow out of control. All our idiot thinkers here think it's all due to climate change. Almost 10,000 acres were burnt, but only 1 shed was lost, no homes and no loss of life, thank God! It is now 5% contained and our temps are lower now and we are getting moisture off and on. Hope they let this be a lesson to them to do some clearing and not let this happen again!
Wow!
It could have been much worse.
Thank goodness no deaths or loss of homes.

It's fine to let it all grow out if we humans didn't need to coexist, but for our protection we need to manage the forests better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ANY first year idiot could walk into your region of the pacific north west and see there is a lush undergrowth and even the fallen trees don't take long getting covered in moss which keeps the outer layer constantly wet . That in turn can resist a spark from starting a major fire. head down below oregon and it's another world one that demands some common sense not foolish ideas.
WHATS THE FAMOUS SA7YING HERE BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME.... do the same with safe zones and pockets for wild life make 100 yard clearing all around it . Take my word for it i work in cleared areas and there is 100% more wild life in the clearing areas then not and they go to the pockets and bed down

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Proper forest management is a big part of the answer. Native Americans were doing it 10,000 years ago.

Part of the problem is we already built millions of houses where it makes sense to do the most effective practices like controlled burns.

Ask a Question