Wildflower Question (I know they aren't aquatic..)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So I've got a question. Its not for aquatic plants, but I think some of you still have experience in the matter.

I've collected seeds from various wildflowers such as black-eyed susans, gray headed coneflowers, purple coneflowers, and more. I've kept the seeds in the fridge for awhile after drying them out. If I plant them now, will they grow before winter, or should I wait to plant them? Also, what is the best time of year to plant them? Should I mix them together and scatter them across the ground, or plant them in specifically spaced rows? I've literally never once planted anything from a seed before and have no idea what I'm doing other than a few things I've read online so your opinions would be very helpful!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For my wildflower fields a few things you should do to have good success:

Get your ground down to bare dirt ( I used roundup to kill off grass etc, then dug it up with my tractor, did not have a tiller at that time)
In the fall, after HARD FREEZING, i.e. growth stops, you do not want the seeds to start up till spring. Mix the seeds with sand, helps spread them, spread them by just tossing hand fulls onto the bare dirt. The sand helps the seed be spread out. And also helps you see where you have tossed the seed. Mix all your seeds together.

You can toss the seeds out in the spring, but fall seeds start up a few weeks faster.

Take plywood, your feet, whatever and stomp the seed into the dirt. Do not sprinkle dirt onto the seed.

If you have a real dry spring, you might want to water a little until the plants are 3-4 inches high. I let mine do what they will do with what weather we get.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The main thing the seeds need is to touch dirt. They do not like being covered with dirt, crazy things.

Wear worn out shoes so you don't collect the dirt and seeds in the grooves of your shoes if you don't stomp on plywood. Plywood works but it hurt my knees to stomp on it.

Ask a Question