Wildlife pond in Nashville

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
IMG_3921 (1).jpg

Hello, fellow-ponders:
I've enjoyed learning about ponds from the friendly lot on the Garden Pond Forum. I'm a gardener in Nashville, with a fondness for native plants. Last fall I began reading about how beneficial it is to have a pond in one's garden if you want to help birds and wildlife. So I researched the topic over the winter and began digging in January. It took a while to get it just right, but on April 27 the sub-liner and liner went in and then the water. Native plants followed. I don't have any frogs yet, but dragonflies have discovered the pond —as have a lovely little fox, raccoons, opossums, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, and many, many species of birds (including bluebirds and rose-breasted grosbeaks). The pond is approximately 9' x 13' with a maximum depth of about 20 inches. I've added hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum), fairy moss (Azolla caroliniana), broadleaf arrowhead (Sagittaria latifolia), and 2 species of hardy waterlily. The marginal plants include cardinal flowers, blue lobelia, native iris, seersucker sedge, river oats, blue-eyed grass, virginia sweetspire, button bush, and pokeberry. The pond is now just over 2 months old but it seems like it's been here longer—it fits in well with the rest of my garden. I've posted a trail cam video from an early morning scene here: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/media/early-morning-on-a-late-june-day-at-frogmore-pond.5357/
Looking forward to all the aquatic adventures ahead . . .

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum @BlueShoe! Always love seeing people use their yards to help nature. I couldn't imagine having a yard without native plants. The amount of wildlife that can be attracted is incredible, and the more you plant, the more that visits!

Ask a Question