Wildlife pond to fish pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've recently extended my pond to 5m x 2.5m x 1m with a capacity of 12500 litres.
It was a wildlife pond but I fancy a go with some fishes now so am looking for some advice.
What filter and pump would be best for this size pond?.
I'm hoping to put stones along the edge and into the pond and have been offered 60 plus well weathered stones of various sizes for £350 which seems reasonable given garden centre prices.
There is sufficient room for filter at side of the pond and electrics are already there.
What's best way of stopping soil entering the pond after heavy rain?.
Loads of questions so help greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Chris.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you have any pictures? And what type of fish?
The biggest thing I had when adding fish was the filtration issue. There are a number of ways to go about it, I had a bog and am adding mechanical filtration. You also need to decide if you are wanting something submersible or not.
For the soil most people will build a berm around the pond to keep that from happening.
Also welcome Chris!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi.
Thanks for your replies.
Looking to keep goldfish not kol.
I have several photos of the pond in its present state which I have attached

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome Chris. to our group

A suggestion, that some of us have done to hide the edge of our ponds.
Dig a shallow shelf (5/8 cms) between the two red lines, (very approximate lines) then have the liner go up the shallow wall. Where the blue line is, put a mound of dirt, 2/3 inches, 5/7 cm deep place the liner over it, cover with rocks, boulders etc. That will keep run off from running into your pond.
The shallow shelf, stack rocks up and out of the pond, the liner disappears. Makes a nice natural looking edge.
Capture.JPG

Not the best shot, but these frogs are sitting on rocks that hide one of the edges of my pond, the liner goes up behind them, out of the water. The shelf is maybe 6 inches, 15 cms wide
IMG_0786.JPG

Ask a Question