Wildlife Pond

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Awhile ago I expressed an interest in adding a second pond to my yard, this one for wild life because the design of the current one is mostly just for a goldfish pond. I did see a frog in it, but he really didn't have all that they would usually like. So I have begun researching wildlife ponds on the internet. Almost all seem to go without filters because they usually do not include fish and therefore do not have a huge bio load from the fish. They also of course have lots of plants, marginals, oxygenators, deep water, etc, and a big part is a pebble beach or some kind of gradual slope to allow wildlife an easy way in/out. Some have even gone without adding pumps and say the water cycles on its own, and the few that do have fish don't feed them and let them eat the vegetation to keep the fish load down. So far fairly interesting, but my big question is that a fair few of them talk about adding clean (no chemicals, etc) soil back into the pond over the liner in which to plant the plants in. Has anyone ever tried this? Not referring to leaving the debris that falls into the pond in, but actually adding some yard soil back into it for a planting medium. Does anyone think this would mess with a pump? I am looking for something more for frogs, birds, and dragonflies. If I had any fish would probably be a few minnows. Some have said no pump, but I think i would just to aid in oxygen. If I didn't have minnows I would go with Mosquito dunks (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...angId=-1&keyword=mosquito dunks&storeId=10051) but would these also kill the dragonfly larvae? Still definitely in the research phase for this pond, not sure if it will happen this summer or the next.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They do that with natural ponds here that are dirt and lined man made and they do a floating pump system that has a fountain head but they don't have filters .They have a a boat that they take out to clean the pump out 4 times a year .One has a rope and a pole for his to pull the pump in and then push it back out .The systems the use now is from tractor supply .It seems to be abs pipe glue and the pump is wired to the abs to keep it a float and they have some type of styrofoam floater attached to it with a small weight that keeps it out in the middle of the pond .Thats why most of them use boats to paddle out to it to clean the housing off the pump.You can see the setup of some of them on you tube

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
These are more smaller sized ponds that I have been researching, not the huge natural ponds that some have. More along the size to fit in a rural back yard and they do the liner and cover it with a few inches of soil.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But the pump set up could be the same just without the fountain head .They just float the pump in that set up so it does not get clogged up

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dragon flies love tall spike type plants that are right next to or in the water, like cat tails, rushes. Their fav landing spot. That is usually where I see them land.

Reaction score
I've had wildlife ponds, both lined and mud bottom.

Adding clay soil is better imo than loam or top soil. Lots of organics in top soil that float. You can skim it off of course. But clay is more like what would be there. Adding soil is just a way to jump start the process. You can add leaves if you like as food for the insects. Leaves aren't as messy.

You can run a pump, but generally it should be on the small side. A pump isn't needed since we're talking about creating an environment for creatures evolved for still conditions. Adding O2 can mess things up by giving one bug a leg up over another bug. I wouldn't run the pump as you are adding soil, nor point putting grit through it. And I'd let it settle. Wildlife ponds take a lot longer to get going. Can take days, weeks for the muddy water to settle.

Most wildlife ponds I ran into did have fish, even a few goldfish. But small minnow type fish were more the norm, looked more natural.

It isn't commonly thought mosquito dunks kill dragonfly larvae, or most other bugs. I've read people in pond forums say they used dunks and still had dragonfly larvae for what that's worth. I haven't seen any specific testing. However, we're talking about a wildlife pond, mosquitoes are an important part of that mix. Lots of things eat mosquito larve. Minnows can be a part of that, but there are bugs that eat the larva as it hatches, when too small for fish. So I wouldn't use any mosquito control except during start up if I could actually see mosquito larva.

With water gardens you really don't need to understand much about how ponds work. There's not a lot going on. Wildlife ponds really require a more fact based understanding wholistic approach. The best thing you can do is forget everything you know about ponds because almost everything about water gardens is myth. Muck is toxic, still water is toxic, Skippy is required for clear water, moving water is needed for O2, on and on the myths will fall.

Wildlife ponds are much less about control, and all about seeing how nature runs a pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmmmm, so what if one had an old bathtub buried in the ground and put the 100% clay kitty litter on the bottom and grew plants in it and maybe throw in a couple fish. No need for air bubbler or anything else or would small air hose from aquarium pump be alright?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yep basically jw! That would look really neat, or don't even bury the tub Few fish just to eat the mosquitoes

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well it's already that tub I had that is buried up to the top and just thought I'd change it a bit by adding kitty litter. Would just be a really nice place to have a pretty display of them blooming. Maybe put in some of the small footprint ones you were talking about and yes a few tiny baby goldies and then in winter just fish them out easy, smeasy and put in the big pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those bright pink ones do fine in a small pond, I had one growing in my deck pond, area of around 2x2 feet or so.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm going to bring back one of my first ponds that was taken out so long ago i don't remember when .
Its a hard liner around 250 gals thats been under are old chicken house at the farm as long as it was in the ground in my yard
I am going to plant Lotus and a Lilly in it, i will put in a few baby koi in to keep the skeeters down no pump will be added

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I shall give them a try in there addy!

Here's what it looked like at one time. It's a mess right now. Need to clean it out and put in the litter and start over w/ the smaller type lilies. See what big leaves the ones I have in there now have.

IMG_1186.jpg

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here, and my pond sort of fits your description. It is a small pond with a liner that I hand dug into the base of a granite ledge. I use a small pump that feeds a canister filter, and the out flow forms a small stream between the natural rock and then trickles down into the pond.

The pond is located on a wooded lot under a several large trees. We get a lot of wildlife visitors including wood frogs, peepers and dragonflies (or maybe they are damsel flies). Lots of birds visit all year round, from bluebirds to wild turkeys, and deer often stop by for a drink.

The water is clear and we have a small school of goldfish and koi who are quite happy and doing well. But the pond is far from the glass-clear water that I see in many of the ponds featured here. I refer to it as a naturalistic pond, and I like it's cottage garden appearance. I hope you like it! Cheers!

Attachments

• DSCF2694.JPG
    DSCF2694.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 340
  • Small Garden Pond.jpg
    Small Garden Pond.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 337

Ask a Question