Wildlife Pump and Filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fairly recently finished digging out my wildlife pond, lined it and filled it with 10,000 Gallons of water. My problem has only just come to the surface in that.... I failed to think through how the filtration and pump would work in a wildlife pond. It is obvious that the pump would pick up the small amphibious creatures that make up the pond so I'm at a dilemma. I don't really want to redesign the pond, I don't want to do without the stream and waterfall so what are my options please. Some people suggest fitting a surface skimmer which I could but wouldn't that also capture floating bugs, someone said put another cage around the pump but I understand it risks the pump being put under strain due to limiting the water volume coming through. I'm at the stage where I want to line the stream and set the waterfall but I'm going round in circles trying to work out what's best to get a stream and a gentle waterfall. Grateful for any suggestions and in particular does anyone out there have a similar setup please?
Grateful for advice on this.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just curious, but what did you line the pond with? And how do you have the stream and waterfall, etc. set up in relation to the pond? What kind of pump and filter do you have? Pictures would be very helpful!

To the best of my knowledge (but limited experience), bugs and amphibians will do fine with pumps and filters. The ones I’ve encountered have a remarkable ability to skedaddle, and live in harmony with the pump. In fact, I often find viable tadpoles and insect larvae in my filter, so they obviously survived the trip. Bugs are usually able to climb out of a confined space (like a skimmer), as are frogs, etc. Of course.....not an expert, so let’s see what other members have to say.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have a submersible pump? Mine is external, I made the draw of water go through a 5 gallon bucket full of holes. That cut down the draw at any one hole which makes it so fry, tads etc just swim away.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fairly recently finished digging out my wildlife pond, lined it and filled it with 10,000 Gallons of water. My problem has only just come to the surface in that.... I failed to think through how the filtration and pump would work in a wildlife pond. It is obvious that the pump would pick up the small amphibious creatures that make up the pond so I'm at a dilemma. I don't really want to redesign the pond, I don't want to do without the stream and waterfall so what are my options please. Some people suggest fitting a surface skimmer which I could but wouldn't that also capture floating bugs, someone said put another cage around the pump but I understand it risks the pump being put under strain due to limiting the water volume coming through. I'm at the stage where I want to line the stream and set the waterfall but I'm going round in circles trying to work out what's best to get a stream and a gentle waterfall. Grateful for any suggestions and in particular does anyone out there have a similar setup please?
Grateful for advice on this.

Just curious, but what did you line the pond with? And how do you have the stream and waterfall, etc. set up in relation to the pond? What kind of pump and filter do you have? Pictures would be very helpful!

To the best of my knowledge (but limited experience), bugs and amphibians will do fine with pumps and filters. The ones I’ve encountered have a remarkable ability to skedaddle, and live in harmony with the pump. In fact, I often find viable tadpoles and insect larvae in my filter, so they obviously survived the trip. Bugs are usually able to climb out of a confined space (like a skimmer), as are frogs, etc. Of course.....not an expert, so let’s see what other members have to say.

So I lined the pond with a Firestone 1mm EDPM liner, underlay and sand. The pond is unfinished partly down to the wet and cold weather as well as my "what do I do about the filter and pump" deliberation. I have attached some pictures of the work in progress and once again grateful for any examples of what people have done to bridge the challenge of having a wildlife pond but with a stream and small waterfall.
1E67B9A7-30F4-4F82-A6E5-9730A39B5540.jpeg
C0004737-17A3-4E67-84D7-E431F29DAD8E.jpeg
B037E220-896B-4AA5-B94F-6698610F954B.jpeg

Ask a Question