Will a 15 inch koi eat a 3 inch koi

Reaction score
So I bought a very nice koi today and as always when u get home the koi aisnt the size u were told it was supposed to be 11 inches at the biggest I measure it and it's way to big so until infind a bigger pond I'm worried he will eat my smaller koi paid 75 for a beautiful aka bekko and I can't take it to the pet store cus it's way to nice so I'm lookin in the mean time will he eat the smaller ones? Will post pics of the fish

Reaction score
27267468.jpg
for reference the ice chest is 18 inches awsome fish just way bigger then i expected

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Other than eggs and small Fry i never saw a koi go after a fish over a 1/2 inch long
as long as you feed them

Reaction score
Sweet good to know he as so beautiful or she all my other fish are scared to be in front of him but they get right behind him on thebside and cruise the pond .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
you really should be fine, I have a few that are 15" - 20" and they don't bother the little 3" guys at all in fact the three inch fish are the ones that get right up to the big guys quite often when we are hand feeding.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i release my fry at 1" into the big pond from the fry tanks every year...their swimmimg with the big guys in a few days. once they get rid of the initial fear... i have videos posted here you can watch...1"ers swimming and feeding with 18"- 20"ers....youve got nothing to worry about as far as that goes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have some koi fish in an aquarium at the moment they will be going into a pond this summer. I got medium size and smaller koi fish along with a goldfish and 2 plecos they all do well together.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Other than eggs and small Fry i never saw a koi go after a fish over a 1/2 inch long
as long as you feed them
Had well fed 24" plus fish devour 10 x 3 to 4. Inch koi in one very expensive meal sitting, 2 minutes all gone swallowed whole.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
you really should be fine, I have a few that are 15" - 20" and they don't bother the little 3" guys at all in fact the three inch fish are the ones that get right up to the big guys quite often when we are hand feeding.

I agree , my 7 koi are 20"+ and my new born fry are 3" . The little fry are right in there with the big ones when I feed them.
My water temp is only 54 degrees now so I feed them Cheerios and crush them up for the little ones . Cute to watch.

Ask a Question