Will a dead fish float?

Reaction score
Not seen one of my favorite Koi around lately. Got a large pond and its pretty murky right now so he may be in there but, I usually see them all at least once a day. Not seen any signs of predators but, not ruling it out. If a fish dies do they sink or float? I'm thinking that they sink at first and then as they decompose they float. Is this correct?

Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking, would gas eventually and then float. I did end up seeing him the other day and he's doing fine, but good to know for future reference. I do a count almost every day and find that he doesnt show his face very often now. Must of found a good hiding spot.

Reaction score
we had a koi "disappear" over the winter...we saw it in the fall and then in the spring it was nowhere to be found...our local pond expert thought decomp and other fish eating it...does that sound plausible?

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
we had a koi "disappear" over the winter...we saw it in the fall and then in the spring it was nowhere to be found...our local pond expert thought decomp and other fish eating it...does that sound plausible?
It's possible, but my first suspicion would be a predator. Welcome to the forums, by the way, @tengbells.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The bones would probably remain.
I tend to agree with dieselp;power there will be some remains left over both bones and teeth as well as part of the inner ear both sides , the larger the koi the larger the teeth .

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@tengbells I've had it happen all ways, but mostly either floating or the fish is just....gone. Actually, I don't recall scooping any remains from the bottom, now that I think about it. My first thought was alien abduction [just kidding]. I would one day notice that a fish wasn't there any more. I also thought about predators, but figured if it was a predator that I would be loosing more than just the occas. fish. But I only have goldfish, so don't know if I would even find remains.

Hope you can figure it out.

And if I didn't already say so, WELCOME!

Reaction score
The koi that disappeared was the smallest and had gone into hiding for several weeks at a time before...we cleaned the pond and didn't find any remains. I would think that if it was predators I would have been missing more than one fish. My friend lost eight in one afternoon to a blue heron. No evidence of critters getting into our yard with a high privacy fence. Thankfully no other fish have disappeared!

Reaction score
When I have list a fish they didn't float. I have 3 pretty strong sub pump they move ALOT of water and I have always found any dead fish stuck to the side of one of them. I guess the current sucks it towards it.
Good luck

Ask a Question