Will a turtle puncture my liner?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a turtle in my previous rock bottom pond with koi and it was fantastic. I’m going to build a pond and I don’t think I want or can afford to have a rock bottom. Will the turtle puncture a .45 mil liner? Is EPDM or the other type a better choice?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not that I am aware of. I had a snapper in my pond for a bit, removed it, no liner damage.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Turtles have very strong legs and some have sharp claws, but if you are using a .45 (or greater) EPDM liner, I can’t see where a turtle would harm the liner material. However....be sure there is an area where the turtle can easily enter and get out of the pond — some kind of ramp or beach area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had a turtle in my previous rock bottom pond with koi and it was fantastic. I’m going to build a pond and I don’t think I want or can afford to have a rock bottom. Will the turtle puncture a .45 mil liner? Is EPDM or the other type a better choice?
put a thin layer of coarse sand or pea gravel and you can worry even less. Good for added bacterial colonization, too!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can understand that you may not WANT a gravel bottom, but can't afford it? You can buy a half cubic foot of river rock for three or four dollars. One of the cheaper elements of a pond build.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The cheapest easiest fix for turtles to protect the liner would be to have fabric over the liner but that will require some rocks to hold it down . Like @addy1 she had a snapping turtle move in they can easily puncture a liner. But they don't make it a habit going around biting at the walls and floor they snap at what they see as food . Or while matting very aggressive FOR TURTLES

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Or while matting very aggressive FOR TURTLES

We have big snappers in our natural ponds and when it's mating season, it looks like a WWE match going on in the water. Quite the sight! I came upon two young boys watching the event while walking my dogs one day - they were both intrigued and horrified when I explained what was going on! haha!

Reaction score
My experience with a turtle was short lived. First he ate a small koi that I had just bought then he left for parts unknown. I guess the grass must have been greener in the fields. Too bad for him because he was on the top of the food chain.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like @addy1 she had a snapping turtle move in they can easily puncture a liner. But they don't make it a habit going around biting at the walls and floor they snap at what they see as food
Or My TOES! I got him out as soon as I could catch him.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm reluctant to add turtles as I'm afraid they will start eating mosses and plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm reluctant to add turtles as I'm afraid they will start eating mosses and plants
I'm pretty sure your moss is safe. Plants MIGHT get nibbled but I've really not had much issue. What I do is place my marginals such that any overgrowth goes out into the water and both the turtles and fish can have at it. Parrot's feather and pennywort are two of these. Turtles need to eat underwater so if you can keep the level just at the crown, your plants are safe. Now, if you have floaters like water hyacinth, well the fish and turtles will eat those. Hence the floating baskets and/or having a LOT of that type. I find if I feed the turtles regularly, they don't bother the fish or plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a alligator snapper that I have been trying to build a 3x5 foot indoor pond for and he's puncture both a 15 mil and 45 mil! liner. Sitting here right now trying to decide what I'm going to do.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a really old thread but...
I have never seen an alligator snapper kept indoors in anything other than a stock tank. In every case, it was strictly for rehab purposes and not as a long-term home. Are you providing the turtle a safe haven while it heals?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
turtle-welcome-to-the-group.GIF
@turtle tacos

Ask a Question