Will Black Out Kill Algae?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We are putting a new roof on our garage. My pond is right up against our garage with an arbor over it. We put a tarp on top of the arbor and screwed it to the garage so nothing will fall in to my pond. Today I was looking at it, and wondering if since very little sun gets to the pond now, will this kill the hair algae? Or am I just having wishful thinking?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Wishful thinking, I'm afraid.
Hair algae can live with very little light.
It may weaken, which could give you an opportunity to pull some out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I didn't want to dash her hopes and glad someone else did it .Thanks Dave and Mitch ;).Nutrients fuel algae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When it rains .... Got up this morning to an almost drained pond again. The pipe blew off right at the top of the pond before going in to the bog. My patio is well watered now and I think it burned up my pump. I can hear it running, but no water is coming out. Good news, while the water was low (My pumps are sitting on crates) I got in there and pulled a bunch of the algae out, petted Gracie who was wondering what the heck was going on and seen a frog I didn't know was in there. The bio is still running, I need to get the bog going before my plants die.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You will need to really find a better way to secure the pipe

I know. That whole system from pump to bog is a mess. Too many 45's. I told hubby I want it redone with just a straight shot with flexible tubing or hose or whatever. This is stressing me and Gracie out.

Ask a Question