Will fry get sucked up in the pump?

Reaction score
I saw that my fish spawned again the other day, there were a lot of little fry at the very top of the pond. But now they are gone. Its kind of a pain when my fish spawn cause I always end up having to find a way to get rid of them once they start getting big enough to make my pond overpopulated.

But I still don't want em to get sucked up into the pump and end up in the filter. So does anyone know if fry tend to hide at the top of the water? I am hoping that is their behavioral pattern. Like they hide under leaves and stuff, and never really go down to the deep end.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Mine always stay in my Chocolate Mint that grows over the rocks and into the pond. It's on the opposite side of the pump. They stay near the top where the rocks are. I think it's a safe haven for them.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
some of mine found there way into my pump last year but they were all still alive swimming around in my filter, my titan pump has slots that you can close up a bit when you have fry, but i had forgotten to close it

Reaction score
you can build a fish hatchery. if natural selection is in your favor, you can have fish just show up. it happened to us. but if you want a lot, you have to protect. we actually saw a goldfish eating its fry last night.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Then leave them in the pond, most that hatch, will also get eaten.

See I thought that goldfish and koi and all those carp types, were vegetarian fish. They certainly make no effort to help out with bugs that they could easily swallow.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
they are scavengers or omnivours they will eat anything and everyting that they fit in their mouths when neccessity arises.....you dont see it but they eat misquitoes and other bugs and their larvaes.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My recliner, where I watch Nascar and other stuff on the weekends is looking right at my 52" LCD and off to the right the pond. I see them jumping all the time when I'm home. Flies and Dragon Flies don't stand a chance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we used to catch the majority of ours early morning we found if you have oxygen weed in your pond they will be hundreds on the roots pull them out and and place in a quarintine tank under light and feed fry liquid. then we used to give them to the neighbours who had small ponds or just wanted goldfish for the kids bowl. will be different my the koi spawn
fish.gif
:fish:

Reaction score
Learn something new every day. I thought they mainly just liked to eat moss, plants, and algae. Like if they were in the wild, I mean.

What exactly do you mean by oxygen weed? Parrot Feather? I love parrot feather.

Ask a Question