Will Goldfish Eat the Tadpoles?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in the hills near Willits, California, in a mixed redwood/Douglas fir forest. I created a small pond in a half wine barrel with a plastic liner. It has some cattails and algae, and two goldfish, about two inches long. This spring we were delighted when some pacific tree frogs moved in, filling the house with their croaks. Now I looked, and there among the cattails, are dozens of tiny tadpoles developing in translucent egg sacs. I think they will emerge soon. I am wondering if I should remove the goldfish? Or will the tadpoles be able to hide well enough in the algae? I can post a picture tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Anthony. Welcome!! Goldfish will definitely eat them and love hunting for things like that. You may need to separate them because goldfish are pretty good hunters. Some could survive if the tads can find good places to hide the fish can't get to. You might want to look into putting in a screen or mesh to keep them seperate.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Toad tadpoles are safer since they produce toxic chemicals which should discourage fish from eating them, but frog tadpoles will definitely be eaten. That's why there are "goldfish ponds" and "wildlife ponds". You can't really have both in one. If I did things over, I'd probably do more of a wildlife pond or stream, but for now, I really enjoy my goldfish pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the advice. I have removed the goldfish so the tadpoles can have their little pond to grow in peace.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Goldfish are not the only predators. I have a similar sized container frog pond and it is loaded with dragonfly nymphs. They look like ugly little perched aliens and just sit and wait for a tasty little morsel to swim by. They are very quick when they spot a meal. I catch and squish two or three a day but more just keep on coming. If I don't keep up with them they will decimate my tadpole population.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
When checking your tadpole stash, if you go after dark with flashlight and scissors, you can pick off the dastardly dragonfly brutes in shallow waters when oxygen levels are low

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Goldfish are not the only predators. I have a similar sized container frog pond and it is loaded with dragonfly nymphs. They look like ugly little perched aliens and just sit and wait for a tasty little morsel to swim by. They are very quick when they spot a meal. I catch and squish two or three a day but more just keep on coming. If I don't keep up with them they will decimate my tadpole population.
Instead of killing dragon fly larva why not transplant the tad poles to breeding tank or pond. The benefits of dragon flies far out weigh a few tad poles. I believe there is actually a shortage of them I know some have made a watched list. i'd bet jb can elaborate further

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Instead of killing dragon fly larva why not transplant the tad poles to breeding tank or pond. The benefits of dragon flies far out weigh a few tad poles. I believe there is actually a shortage of them I know some have made a watched list. i'd bet jb can elaborate further

The tadpoles are in a dedicated frog breeding container pond that the dragon fly larva have invaded. The problem isn't losing just a few tadpoles, these dragonfly nymphs have a voracious appetite and due to the number of them they will eat all of the tadpoles.

Out of thousands of tadpoles I am lucky to end up with a few dozen frogs which are lucky to survive being eaten by the birds, snakes and lizards.

It may be true that dragon flies need our assistance but so do frogs. My wildlife ponds increase the population of both.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The tadpoles are in a dedicated frog breeding container pond that the dragon fly larva have invaded. The problem isn't losing just a few tadpoles, these dragonfly nymphs have a voracious appetite and due to the number of them they will eat all of the tadpoles.

Out of thousands of tadpoles I am lucky to end up with a few dozen frogs which are lucky to survive being eaten by the birds, snakes and lizards.

It may be true that dragon flies need our assistance but so do frogs. My wildlife ponds increase the population of both.
This is true

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Toad tadpoles are safer since they produce toxic chemicals which should discourage fish from eating them, but frog tadpoles will definitely be eaten. That's why there are "goldfish ponds" and "wildlife ponds". You can't really have both in one. If I did things over, I'd probably do more of a wildlife pond or stream, but for now, I really enjoy my goldfish pond.
Did not realize toad tadpoles were toxic. This explains why I always end up with hundreds of tadpoles. Always wondered why the fish didn't put the hurt on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I had a frog or toad sitting in my pond last night making noises. I am eagerly waiting for tadpoles!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is my little pond, and the tadpoles still in their egg sacs. Thanks for the advice to watch out for dragonfly larvae. I have not seen any yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_2179.jpg
    IMG_2179.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 462

Ask a Question