Will hardy water lilies break dormancy unplanted?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! Here's my question...will hardy water lilies break dormancy if they are not planted? Since I have an above ground container pond, I will need to put my Indiana water lily in the fridge this fall - sans pot - to overwinter it, and move it back outside in spring. I was wondering if I could start the lily in a brightly lit aquarium about a month prior to planting time so that it would have a head start when I put it outside, but that would be difficult if it needed to be planted to break dormancy. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hmmmmmm, interesting question....I'll be interested to see what others say.

Does your above ground pond freeze solid? I'm wondering if you kept your planted lily in your pond with a bubbler or small pump if it would survive?

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hmmmmmm, interesting question....I'll be interested to see what others say.

Does your above ground pond freeze solid? I'm wondering if you kept your planted lily in your pond with a bubbler or small pump if it would survive?
I have never kept one outside over the winter, but I live in zone 6 and we get substantial amounts of snow during the winter...so, likely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It sounds like you're asking if it needs to be in a pot of soil to break dormancy, versus just sitting in a tub of water?

My guess is that exposure to light, water, and heat is what will wake it up. I would be surprised if soil was required.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It sounds like you're asking if it needs to be in a pot of soil to break dormancy, versus just sitting in a tub of water?

My guess is that exposure to light, water, and heat is what will wake it up. I would be surprised if soil was required.

Bingo :) Thanks.

Ask a Question