Will I have to have a pump in the tank?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I plan to have plants and some small fish. I don't know how many gal. the stock tank holds. It is the one that is about the size of a bath tub

Reaction score
Country
United States
You should have a filter. Is this a black Rubbermaid stock tank? The gallons and liters are annotated on the side if so. If not, what is the tank’s construction (metal or plastic)? Will the tank be sunk into the ground or above ground? Indoors or outdoors? Once we get some more information, we can help you spend some money! :)
Stephen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is a heavy duty plastic. It is used to water horses. Ir is outside. I put it on blocks to keep the dogs from drinking from it.I have two potted plants and some floating ones as well. It is fill with water from my well. I put two small goldfish in it a few days ago. The water looks clear so far and it has been set up for two weeks.

Thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Is this a second tank? And no - you don't HAVE to have a pump but in a container of water this small, it would make sense. I've seen goldfish ponds with no water circulating that were perfectly clear and functioning well, but those were several thousand gallons. Smaller water gardens are a bit harder to keep things in balance. A small filter and some aeration will go a long way to keeping your water quality high.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is this a second tank? And no - you don't HAVE to have a pump but in a container of water this small, it would make sense. I've seen goldfish ponds with no water circulating that were perfectly clear and functioning well, but those were several thousand gallons. Smaller water gardens are a bit harder to keep things in balance. A small filter and some aeration will go a long way to keeping your water quality high.
Yes it is a diffrent one that i set up before i found this site. Hust added fish a few days ago.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is a heavy duty plastic. It is used to water horses. Ir is outside. I put it on blocks to keep the dogs from drinking from it.I have two potted plants and some floating ones as well. It is fill with water from my well. I put two small goldfish in it a few days ago. The water looks clear so far and it has been set up for two weeks.

Thank you
I thought yours was a rusted out galvanized tub.....

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No pump really needed.I have 4 stock tanks that I use for my excess plants. 2 have a clay substrate, others just free floating or potted lilies. I try to keep floating plants like duck weed or azolla in each to shade them. I added a couple of koi fry to each one just to keep mosquitos under control but the frogs usually eat the fry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I moved a puny lotus out of my pond and into a giant plastic planter - more as an experiment than anything. My guess is that the planter holds about 30 gallons of water. I set it up a couple of weeks ago and it's already looking great. I planted the lotus in plain kitty litter on the bottom and added a small water lily, hornwort, anacharis, and duckweed. A few snails tagged along in the plants. The water is almost totally clear and the lotus is sending up new stems. There is no filtration, but the plants seem to be doing a good job with the water. I have 8 feeder guppies in there to eat mosquito larvae. So far, so good -- it's fun to go out every morning and just look into the new aquatic mini-world!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
A sponge filter never hurt anything. The agitation is great for the floaters and keeps nutrients moving through the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I really like this ideal. My friend asked if I wanted a bait tank she has when I showed her a picture of the little pond. Yes, I really do want this tank. So I may end up with three different ponds. So much fun. Im glad I found this site with all you guys so willing to help and make it fun. learning with every post.
@Mmathis - see my question above. This is a second tub.
I have two different ponds going now.

Ask a Question