Will koi continue to grow?

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I recently blew out my two small, plaatic, formed ponds to make one free formed pond that made use of the two previous holes and more or less connected them.
My calculations have the new pond at just over 1,440 gallons.
I currently have two 4 inch Ranchu. 9 koi mostly in the 5 inch range, although one is 8 inches. And one comet. Also over 7 inches.
My question is will my koi grow to 3 feet long in such a smallish pond? Or will the pond dictate the overall size reached by the fishes.
Will I need to rehome koi at a later date?
Maybe dig an even deeper pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
YEP .it is not true that fish only grow to the size of the home .I took 2 koi out last spring in a small pond and they were over 2 feet long and could not even move around .Not sure how they survived in about 1000 gallons with all the plants .Rehomed them to a new pond .

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
YEP .it is not true that fish only grow to the size of the home .I took 2 koi out last spring in a small pond and they were over 2 feet long and could not even move around .Not sure how they survived in about 1000 gallons with all the plants .Rehomed them to a new pond .
I have a lot of back yard space that could be dug up to house truly giant adults.
How long do I have to convince my wife?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's unlikely your Koi will ever be 3 ft long as it is a lot of work to raise Koi to that size, and genetics and species type play a huge role in size as well. A 3ft Koi would be almost 30 lbs! See charts below: http://www.coloradokoi.com/koi_weight.htm
Re convincing your wife. I have been married almost 25 years. You will have to work together to find a happy medium. You may want to try to go on local pond tours or join a Koi club, etc so she has an equal appreciation of ponds and fish. My wife was absolutely not on board with a large expansion of my pond until we moved and built a new pond. Our compromise was she pretty much got to dictate the plans for the new home and I got to do what I wanted with the pond within reason. From when I wanted the larger pond until it happened took 8 years!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I recently blew out my two small, plaatic, formed ponds to make one free formed pond that made use of the two previous holes and more or less connected them.
My calculations have the new pond at just over 1,440 gallons.
I currently have two 4 inch Ranchu. 9 koi mostly in the 5 inch range, although one is 8 inches. And one comet. Also over 7 inches.
My question is will my koi grow to 3 feet long in such a smallish pond? Or will the pond dictate the overall size reached by the fishes.
Will I need to rehome koi at a later date?
Maybe dig an even deeper pond?

Three feet? Almost absolutely impossible ... Did, dig and dig! Even in my 2000 gallon pond, my koi range from 15" to 24" and that's since 2012. I had a Koi pond for 25 years but lost all but 2 during SS Sandy. 2 survived! It depends on many variables and pond size is one, feeding amount another, genetics play a part and water quality ....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can just see it him on his knees begging his wife please ,please Bigger pond and this is the last thing I will ask for .My sons would do that with things they wanted .They really thought it worked each time and sad to say it did .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can just see it him on his knees begging his wife please ,please Bigger pond and this is the last thing I will ask for . .
smlaughing4.gif
smlaughing4.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
E7C99489-83FB-457C-9FEE-CFE6F0B6DF3C.jpeg
5BA4CB4D-3FE9-4C6B-AFAA-0BA8A7BAC3D4.jpeg
E7C99489-83FB-457C-9FEE-CFE6F0B6DF3C.jpeg
We got Donald and Hillary on January 21th this year..... They were large before the summer feeding, I placed a steel yardstick in the bottom of the pond and took pictures as they swam by, Donald is 30" body length not counting tail fin and Hillary is 28"..... They are both males, but what is amazing is the change in girth from a summer of good food and good water

Ask a Question