Will My Black Lab Eat Fish in Pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So...we just moved and the previous owner put in a small pond with a waterfall. We are assuming he had koi in there at some point but we don’t know because the house was sold through the estate 2 years after he passed, merky water and all. Our lab took an immediate liking to it of course which was a nightmare until we cleaned it out and fenced it. I don’t mind her in the pond now that it’s clean but I’d like to put goldfish in there and remove the fencing. My obvious concern is that she will eat the fish. Thoughts on this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

It's hard to say what a dog will do on any given day. Ours have never even noticed the fish; but my son's dog (Jack Russell terrier) has gone in after the fish. But he will also hunt and catch frogs, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits... anything that runs he will chase!

We've trained our own dogs with one command that covers a lot of situations - LEAVE IT. They know that means to stop whatever it is they are doing or thinking. And honestly, I wouldn't want the dogs in the pond - I think it would be pretty stressful for the fish, not to mention you risk nails going through liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome to GPF :) We have 5 dogs, so are dog lovers too! Black labs are the best.....we still remember ours, Buddy, he was incredible.

We have our pond and pool fenced.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any other breed i'd lean toward no. but Black labs god love um can be so curious so happy and out of control. yet others can be very laid back and mellow which is your lab?

Reaction score
Our lab is in the water all the time but never bothers the fish. Our other pit mix has made it her full time job to try to caught all the frogs. Our 6 year old son doesn't help matters. He always points out the frogs to her and tells her to get them. Lol. The only down side is that between the 2 dogs and our son, the big rocks arou d the edge of our pond ends up in the pond every year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The only down side is that between the 2 dogs and our son, the big rocks arou d the edge of our pond ends up in the pond every year.

You need bigger rocks. Just an opinion, but we built our pond with the idea that every rock needs to be big enough (i.e., stable enough) to walk on. We didn't want anyone tumbling in because a rock gave way under foot.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Would love to see pictures of your pond. Well, and of your dog as well (though I’m a cat-person, LOL!). Do you know how big the pond is (gallons, length, width)?

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that dog claws can damage a liner — assuming that this is a lined pond. Not saying it will happen, but that it could happen — and liners are a royal PITA to replace!

Ask a Question