Will my lilies come back?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I got two lilies last spring from Lowe’s and they grew well but never bloomed. I have them in a clay pot ten inches diameter and four inches deep in aquarium plant gravel. In late fall I cut them back and put them in the deepest part of the pond. A little over a month ago I brought them to the shallow end. There is algae covering all of the gravel and there are two open leaves that don’t seem to be growing and they have algae in them. The irises survived the winter and are growing well as did another plant whose name I can’t remember. Pond is 2’ deep and 330 gallons. Shallow end is 16”. Will the lilies come back? I’m wondering if I just need to get more or replant the ones I have.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If there are leaves on them , they should be fine. The weather has been crazy lately, 80 one day and 30 the next. If you don't have leaves, check the tuber. If its mushy, its bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
give them time they will come back as far as blooms it may take a year or 2 depending on age of the plant. I had one that took 3 years to have a flower but had pads a plenty every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If the weather is warm enough, I would say hitting 70F or higher during the day, you can raise your pots to just 2-3" below the waters surface. They will be warmer and get more sunlight here. This can get them "sprouting" out a little sooner and then you can slowly sink them back to the bottom. Otherwise, just leave them in the water and once it hits the right temperature it will start sending up leaves to the surface. As others have stated it sounds like the tubular itself is fine as it has leaves on it.

Ask a Question