Will no filter media be a problem temporarily?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've had some problems with my Savio skimmerfilter and they suggested removing the Metala filter media I have been using because it may have been causing water level problems in the pump chamber of the skimmerfilter. I did that yesterday and so far everything is operating properly.

I ordered a Savio media filter but got a backorder notice that, if I'm lucky, it will ship next week.

I've got a filter in the falls box too but does anyone think it will be a problem to operate the pond/falls for a week or more without a filter?

TIA

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You are probably best qualified to answer this and didn’t really provide enough detail for anyone to say. If you are concerned keep up water testing daily and if you start to see a change then maybe you’ll need to start taking steps to mitigate the issue. My opinion of Savio type systems is they are engineered like water treatment facilities so if you are maxing out the load on it then maybe you need to add a temporary replacement to what’s been removed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
i would think it would depend on the pump you have in your skimmer. Some handle solids better than others. Fortunately, mine handle most everything so removing the Matala mat isn't a problem. Unfortunately, that includes frogs on occasion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I notice it's harder for the water to push through the matala pad, then the Savio pad. That said, I'm currently using a masala pad, blue in color. You should be able to order something similar to a Savio filter and cut it to size....it's the thickness that's important.

Have you tried lifting the frame that holds the filter , up a little off the bottom....it'll help the flow until you're order arrives.

Ask a Question