Will pH lower with time?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Just curious. Pond is running right around 8 pH and has been since I started it 2 months ago. I suspect the plants aren't as happy as they could be due to the higher-than-neutral pH. I'm wondering if when the fish waste and plant decomposition debris start to build up -- will the pH lower? I do have the plants in planters with clay kitty litter as a planting medium. Clay is alkaline, right? Maybe that is the cause of the steady 8 pH? Just wondering...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My ph was low very low when I filled the pond, like 5.6, over time it has stabilized at 7.6 or so. (disclaimer I have not tested it recently)

That is with a ton of kitty litter, crushed oyster shells, plants etc

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As a pond becomes established the population and diversity of bacteria increases. Because bacteria respire much like any other living creature, Oxygen is taken in and Carbon Dioxide is expelled. Carbon Dioxide in water is usually in the form of Carbonic acid. Any acid will power pH. The more bacteria the greater demand for Oxygen and the greater production of Carbonic acid. It should be noted that this particular acid production is limited by the amount of organic carbon available to the bacteria. In a 'spotless' pond organic carbon will be scarce hence pH may tend to remain high. In a pond with a heavy organic carbon load the pH will tend to be lower. In natural woodland ponds where organic matter is plentiful the typical pH is around 6.8, slightly acid.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's more important to have a "stable" pH rather than to shoot for a number. My pond runs around 8.2. I add crushed oyster shell to the gravel in my bog -- this acts as a buffer to prevent pH spikes or rapid changes.

And as far as your plants go, try not to be too discouraged as sometimes it will take plants a full season before they show much progress.

Ask a Question