Will plant dirt kill my fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This evening after work I went out to feed my 2 shubunkins (sp) and decided to remove my hibiscus from the pond. It has not gotten cold enough in Alabama to remove it yet. It looked a bit yellow so I guess for some insane reason I decided to remove it today. I decided to pick it up by the stalk instead of the pot. Very bad idea. The plant came right out of the dirt before I could grab the pot. It turned upside down and straight to the bottom. It looked like a slow dust storm covering the bottom and now the whole pond is clouded. My biggest worry is are my fish going to be ok? The dirt is from a pond supply store where I bought the fish and my plants. Its a light tan clay type of mix. Not sure really what is in it. Please, if someone could guide me or at least tell me if there is hope for the fish? Thanks in advance.....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is probably a clay mix . It may not harm the fish but it may clog up your filters real bad .I use a koi clay in my pond just to clarify the water .You may need to set something up to run your pump into like a crate with quilt batting and if you have a foam filter in your pump you may have to remove it .This is koi clay and it also what kitty litter is made of

Attachments

• koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 045.JPG
    koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 045.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 170
  • koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 046.JPG
    koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 046.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 159
  • koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 048.JPG
    koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 048.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 218
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Sissy. Yes, that's what it looks like. I guess I will have to cross my fingers until I get home tomorrow to try to get to work on it. Looks like I have created myself some extra headache for the week and its only Monday....Ugh! I appreciate the response! :)Thank You!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good to know I haven't killed them. I had a pond several years ago, much larger than this one and it seemed so much easier. This one has been a bit of a challenge for me. Its smaller but in full sun and I have battled string algae all summer. I am glad to know I haven't killed the fish. Thanks for the reply's !!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that clay will help with all kinds of algae it coats it and kills it .I agree with meyer but to much is to much .They will constantly stir it up .my crates .Good thing is that is great for your grass and any veggies

Attachments

• pond august 19 2015 video also 050.JPG
    pond august 19 2015 video also 050.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 215
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Many fish breeders use natural clay bottom ponds to raise their fish. The only harm clay will do will be to make it a little harder to see your fish after a heavy rain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
No harm to the fish, and agree with Meyer, they are probably enjoying it! After all, it was in the pond the whole time.
Now, for the issue of your hibiscus, what did you plan to do with that? I have hardy hibiscus in the ground, and understand they do well in a bog situation (shallow water). How deep did you have the plant? Maybe too deep, thus the yellow color of the leaves, or maybe just because weather and temps are getting colder, the leaves turned yellow? I know you were more concerned about the fish, but I think they will be fine. What about the plant? LOL

Ask a Question