Will their tails get bigger with age?

Reaction score
I have two little ryukins and their tails are pretty sad looking. They are still pretty small, about 2" long.

Will their tails ever get more fanned out or did I inherit the stubby tailed variety, perhaps.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A little but not much thats why I call them butt wigglers and i love them that way .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have two little ryukins and their tails are pretty sad looking. They are still pretty small, about 2" long.

Will their tails ever get more fanned out or did I inherit the stubby tailed variety, perhaps.

If they are like people then I would say yes, our tails get bigger with age!!!!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If they are Ryukin then the tails should grow in, Ryukins shouldn't have short stubby tails, they should actually have a more flowing but not the overly long tail. The fins should compliment the high back of the dorsal area. Pearl scales should really have the short stubby fins. There are breeders that try and mix Ryukins with Pearl scales to produce pearl scales with longer flowing fins. There would be some culls that would end up as Ryukin and very possible that they could carry the gene of the pearl scale and end up with short tail. Will they eventually grow in. Only time will really tell.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If they are like people then I would say yes, our tails get bigger with age!!!!
I started to type an almost identical reply, but figured some might find it in poor taste, so I deleted it. You have more nerve than I, Todd! :highfive:
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A little but not much thats why I call them butt wigglers and i love them that way .

Ahhhh, Sissy, I'd noticed your reference to "butt wigglers" in other posts, but thought you meant all goldies. Now I know! And yes, they are little butt wigglers, aren't they?

Reaction score
If they are Ryukin then the tails should grow in, Ryukins shouldn't have short stubby tails, they should actually have a more flowing but not the overly long tail. The fins should compliment the high back of the dorsal area. Pearl scales should really have the short stubby fins. There are breeders that try and mix Ryukins with Pearl scales to produce pearl scales with longer flowing fins. There would be some culls that would end up as Ryukin and very possible that they could carry the gene of the pearl scale and end up with short tail. Will they eventually grow in. Only time will really tell.

Funny you mentioned the pearl scale hybrids. My pearl scale is definitely what I'd consider a Pearl scaled Ryukin, but there are definitely a few differences in this fish. It has a tail that is not really short, but not flowy either. Kinda in between.

It definitely has the pearl scales, though.

Ask a Question