Will these work as bio filter media?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I just used the same exact ones in my build this week, They work fine no problem. I would rinse them AFTER cutting them up, They leave a fine dust when you cut them that is probably best not to get into the filter system, Don't forget to cut them up in to smaller pieces, I cut mine in 1"x1" sguares, this gives more contact area for the bacteria to grow on and it give more channels for the water to travel. I used 110 of those pads for my filter, If your using a 55 gallon drum I would say your probably going to need around 200. But they work great, The water in my pond is crystal clear in less than 24 hours!!!!!!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the 3M ones at Sams say not for aquarium use on the box...if thats what you got,dont fret, i used them theyve been in my filters for 3 years...no problem!...i noticed it on a box a year later!!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sure does say that! :(, I'm sitting here looking at the package, these are the same ones I used and I don't see anything wrong with the fish so far, But I would rinse them, I rinsed mine about four times to get all the little green particles out.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
koiguy1969 said:
1"x1" peices...your hand was sore...i was getting hand cramps @ 3"x3"...good for the ol' rhumatism huh?

Sore is not the word, Blisters are better example! (BTW, A razor knife on a piece of scrap wood works far better than scissors! You can cut up two or three pads at a time with a sharp razor blade) LOL I even had the wife cutting some up. It was pretty cool seeing my wife getting involved in the build, She usually could care less about the filters and such but this filter got her intrest and I was glad to see and hear her asking questions. We even went and had coffee this morning by the small pond before she headed to work, She was amazed at how clear the water had gotten in such a short time.

Reaction score
The reason for the disclaimer is because they most likely contain aluminum oxide, which is toxic to fish, though with a larger outdoor pond it's difficult to say if there is enough to make any difference.

That said, pot scrubbers have more surface area. Just don't get anything treated with anti-microbial chemicals that will kill the bacteria.

Ask a Question