will this do a pump harm?....

Reaction score
I am running a pump from deep end to the stock tank and needed to slow the flow down with a ball vaulve closing it little more than halfway , will this make pump work to hard and shorten its life ?

Reaction score
I am running a pump from deep end to the stock tank and needed to slow the flow down with a ball vaulve closing it little more than halfway , will this make pump work to hard and shorten its life ?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It shouldn't hurt a thing. Most of us have similar situations and my Harbor Freight pump has been going strong for over 3 years now non-stop.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It shouldn't hurt a thing. Most of us have similar situations and my Harbor Freight pump has been going strong for over 3 years now non-stop.

Reaction score
thanks i wasnt sure about that, also would it be a good idia to put some kind of water plants in the stock tank just to dress it up a bit? any recommendations on type of plant, thanks

Reaction score
thanks i wasnt sure about that, also would it be a good idia to put some kind of water plants in the stock tank just to dress it up a bit? any recommendations on type of plant, thanks

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It would be nice to send that excess water somewhere else in the pond
Adding a tee and 2 valves would make it happen

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It would be nice to send that excess water somewhere else in the pond
Adding a tee and 2 valves would make it happen

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
it does seem a shame to restrict a pumps flow instead of merely diverting some of it . the pump still runs, still burns electricity, so still costs the same... if its too much flow for your filter(s) run some diectly to the falls. or install an extra falls. not to mention besides filtration your losing circulation.....circulation..filtration..aeration ...the three keys to a lively pond .........YEP!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
it does seem a shame to restrict a pumps flow instead of merely diverting some of it . the pump still runs, still burns electricity, so still costs the same... if its too much flow for your filter(s) run some diectly to the falls. or install an extra falls. not to mention besides filtration your losing circulation.....circulation..filtration..aeration ...the three keys to a lively pond .........YEP!!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Good point Koiguy! If you can divert it and use the balance for circulation, that is the best way to utilize the pumps output and the cost of maintaining it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Good point Koiguy! If you can divert it and use the balance for circulation, that is the best way to utilize the pumps output and the cost of maintaining it.

Reaction score
that sounds like a great way of getting the most out of the pump ,If I were to put a tee fitting installed before the ball ball valve thats going to the stocktank under the waterline and add another ball valve off the tee partialy closed would that work? it would at least add some more circulation to pond

Ask a Question