Will this plant need support?

Reaction score
Country
United States
After a year of only having three plants I finally listened to all of you and loaded up my pond with quite a few more. Everything that I bought well over a month ago has survived and many are growing quite well. Not sure of the name of this particular plant that's getting some good height but I can't tell if it needs support because of the bend in the stem. Should I add a stick/rod and tie it?

All of the new additions started out in tiny 3 inch plastic pots until they had some good root growth. I cut away the pots and pushed the stems and roots between the rocks.

Attachments

• 20210710_151604.jpg
    20210710_151604.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210710_151547.jpg
    20210710_151547.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 49
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
After a year of only having three plants I finally listened to all of you and loaded up my pond with quite a few more. Everything that I bought well over a month ago has survived and many are growing quite well. Not sure of the name of this particular plant that's getting some good height but I can't tell if it needs support because of the bend in the stem. Should I add a stick/rod and tie it?

All of the new additions started out in tiny 3 inch plastic pots until they had some good root growth. I cut away the pots and pushed the stems and roots between the rocks.
(frantically waving hand in air!!!) I heartily endorse support for the cardinal plant--I have a bunch in the back of my bog and invariably, every summer, they grow tall, the wind/storm comes along, flattens/bends/bowls them over and they'll continue doing their thing to the tune of actually lying flat while lifting their flower stem skywards. I've had to routinely now put some string about 3/4 up their length so this does not happen. If you do it early enough (provided you have a few), the string/twine gets lost in their leaves. Just keep an eye on yours but I'd stake it, were it mine.

Ask a Question