Will this work for a mini bog?

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Am enlarging my pond a little...am adding 18" - 20" height and 12"+ border. This leaves a 12"+ shelf around pond. And I was thinking....on one side of the pond put an 18" high fine mesh/screening wall/divider adhering it to the liner with seam tape and filling it @14" with pea gravel.

If workable that would give a 12"+ wide by 18" high by 10' long bog area.

Is this workable?

Thanks for your input....Sharon

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We are currently building a bog onto our pond- 10'x3'x18". not sure if your idea will work as pea gravel is very heavy. 3200lbs for ours and that does't include the weight of the water.

Reaction score
Hi mrsclem....

the 'bottom' of the bog is currently the ground surrounding the pond...I am just going out 12-15" and putting up an 18" wall. So I will be putting in a liner in that will cover that part of the ground and go up to the top of the wall.

But I am surely open to bog material other than pea gravel.

Again thanks for replying!
Sharon

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Let me know how it works out. I've posted pics of the start of our bog on the DIY forum, would love to see pics of your project.

Reaction score
msclem,

While sitting at the pond I realized what you were saying...problem not the bottom rather the sides....and you are correct...what I was thinking (mesh/screen) wouldn't begin to hold in pea gravel...the sides would give way.

Am going to have to rethink...will go look at yours now.

Thanks so much for helping me avoid a "messy" mistake!!

sharon

Reaction score
Sharon,
My bog is built virtually the same way. I used 2x4's to build the frame and covered it with the same liner. On one end of the bog, I put a mesh and netting and then a 2' deep well for my pump. This way the water flows through the bog and it acts as a skimmer too. The leaves hit the mesh and collect there.
Here are some photos.

Attachments

• HPIM2499.JPG
    HPIM2499.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 335
  • HPIM2500.JPG
    HPIM2500.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 354
  • HPIM2501.JPG
    HPIM2501.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 354
  • HPIM2502.JPG
    HPIM2502.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 322
Reaction score
I have a 3000GPH pump in the well. My water only seems to run OVER the rocks rather than through them because my pump is too powerful to do anything else. It sucks the well dry in less than a minute if the water level drops too low. To solve this, you may want to put mesh on both ends and build the sides above the water line. But you will probably want to run a lower gph pump. Pea gravel works very well for me, my plants have flourished in my bog. The great thing about it is that a lot of my waste settles here before it reaches the pump and it seems to fertilize my plants but not effect my pond.
What size pump do you run? Mine goes from the well/pit and splits 25% into my 55 gal bio filter and 75% directly into my waterfall and through my upper pond. Then it waterfalls into my lower pond before going back through the bog.
Hope that helps.

Ask a Question