Will this work?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It is a losing battle every year with my lilies getting pulled out of their containers. I am getting too old to keep pulling the pots up and replanting them only to have them ripped out in a few days. Has anyone tried to use a weight to hold them to the bottom bare rooted? I was thinking of getting rope to tie around the tuber and tie it to a plastic coated weight to hold it to the bottom of the pond. Thoughts?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use plastic fencing over my lilies. Drill holes and zip tie down.
012.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get the plant established the get the stems sprouting and place stone around the base of the plant

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have koi, but mine would float out of the pot. I used rope to tie the lily to the pot. Just a piece of rope over the tuber, put through holes in the sides of the pan.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tried everything but my koi would just grab the plants and yank or worse yet, tip the whole pot over.
Put some heavy baseball size rocks on the gravel fish can't move them and the plant will find openings to grow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't have koi, but mine would float out of the pot. I used rope to tie the lily to the pot. Just a piece of rope over the tuber, put through holes in the sides of the pan.

That sounds like a good idea since my pads are up now. I don't think the Koi are purposely pulling them up, I think it's when they swim through the stems it pulls them out of the pot.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used floating rope, after tying the tuber to the pan, I made a t-pee with the rope, now can just grab them from the side of the pond and move around. Use my mover thing under the rope and slide them around.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My koi aren't very big, maybe 12 inches for the largest one, but I have my lilies planted in gravel right on my liner. I did use a few larger stones right on the roots to help hold them in place. This is only their second year in there, but they came back running this spring. The fish do nibble on the pads some, but they dont pull the plants enough to move them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucaryan

Latest Threads