Window box planters

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
094.JPG Our big box pond needed something to soften the look as well as some plants the koi couldn't destroy. I set up window boxes that sit on the rails and so far they are doing very well, actually overgrown! Not sure how much water filtering they are doing but as the plants really took off this year, the green water went away.
I got the planter boxes off of Amazon.com. These are designed to fit 4 or 6" rails.060.JPG
I removed the drain plugs from one side only and also drilled a couple of holes on the side close to the top to prevent overflow.077.JPG078.JPG
I put a piece of coarse foam in the drainage side and anchored the boxes to the pond rail with drain holes over pond. 1" PVC pipe with holes drilled in it runs across the top of the boxes to act as a spray bar. I zip tied mine to keep it in place. Pump connected to the pipe keeps the boxes partially water filled.003.JPG002.JPGThese are the boxes after just being planted. One month later-015.JPG
I currently have 8 boxes running on a 520gph pump and plan on running 2 more boxes on the 3rd side. I just tucked plants in bare rooted and secured with more foam or rocks. Water cress cuttings planted had 6" roots in 2 days.
These boxes can alos be used as fines filters with the batting material but you do need to check they often as they can overflow.058.JPG057.JPG056.JPG055.JPG I now actually have roots aand plant coming out the drain holes which gives the koi something to nibble on and hide under.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Such a neat idea! That looks wonderful

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just thought I would post some pics of these window boxes before the weather changes. Pond is 5' deep and crystal clear with just water spraying over the roots. Not sure how I will bring in the non- hardy plants this fall.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 310
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 323
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 357
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 328
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 350

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love your window boxes mrsclem! Plants sure do a good job in cleaning water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Almost like hydroponic farming the fish provide fertilizer .Great for veggies .Thats why I like plants in my filters
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:58496]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57799]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57796]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I may try putting a planter like that next year on my waterfall rocks ,just a flat bottom one and if I wire it so it does not fall over it should work .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Bubbleponics rock! Though I think the NSA has just noted down my IP address as when I was searching for more images, mostly what I found was MMJ. Ya, I have been using these planters for my Bakki-showers. I've got the ones without the thing in the middle.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm hoping the massive root growth hasn't damaged the boxes. I have roots and plants sprouted out of the drainage holes on the sides and bottom. I have them screwed down to the railing to keep them from getting tipped into the ponds so can't just lift them off this fall. The watercress really took off fast this way.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Unfortunately, we had to remove them and remove several boards that had warped. Converting a leaky stock tank to a bog now

Ask a Question