window question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so I have had my roughly 600 gallon above ground pond with a 2x3 window set up since the end of last summer. everything is working great, fish are fat and happy and growing like weeds, but the one issue I am having is finding something that actually does a good job of cleaning the inside of the window. the generic aquarium scrapers do get some of the algae off of the window but really don't come close to getting all of it. does anyone have any other suggestions for a better way to clean the window? the window gets full sun for the majority of the day so I realize that some algae growth is inevitable, I just want an effective way to clean it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
use peroxide on a toilet bowl brush .You can get the toilet bowl brush at dollar stores

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Snails? I can’t really think of anything, if you’ve already tried aquarium scrapers, etc. Algae is the one reason that would keep me from doing a window. I assume yours is some kind of plexiglass, which means it’s extra prone to scratching.

Oh, @sissy has a good suggestion — worth a try!

Reaction score
Country
United States
i used 3/4 inch acrylic for the window...probably should have mentioned that. never thought to use a toilet bowl brush...might have to pick up an extra one next time I'm out. I've thought about snails but due to the size of the pond I'm not sure they would make enough difference unless I dropped in a whole bucket full of them.

thanks for the ideas!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Maybe magic eraser? I've seen them used to clean empty aquariums, not sure if it will change water parameters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
See, someone who knows! I assumed they wouldn't be abrasive enough to scratch, but I've never used it on acrylics.

Ask a Question