Winter’s Effect On Koi, Goldfish, and Ponds by Richard E. Carlson

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Do you happen to know the date that this article was published?
Not only does the author contradict himself within the article, but many of his statements are completely outdated with more recent research reaching different conclusions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do you happen to know the date that this article was published?
Not only does the author contradict himself within the article, but many of his statements are completely outdated with more recent research reaching different conclusions.

thank you so much for your input. it seemed scholarly from my limited experience.
it appears the article was published in 2010.
can you direct us to other articles outlining the effects of winters onset through spring in the detail that was presented?
it would be greatly appreciated.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
thank you so much for your input. it seemed scholarly from my limited experience.
it appears the article was published in 2010.
can you direct us to other articles outlining the effects of winters onset through spring in the detail that was presented?
it would be greatly appreciated.

The internet is full of pond related sites that contain articles on all aspects of pond husbandry. Problem is most contain outdated information or information based on anecdotal sources rather than scientific research. This is why there is so much contradictory information available.
Within this very article is a prime example. The author states:
"......What this tells us is that the biological nitrification processes continue even during the coldest water conditions. This is an important fact to remember as those ponders who keep their filters running all winter will retain a significant level of biological nitrification processing throughout the winter and will see no accumulation of ammonia or nitrites while the fish are “under the ice.” "
Yet in the very next section, the author starts to refute this statement with:
"At 62 degrees, the activity of the nitrosomonas bacteria begins to reduce significantly. The effect of this, of course, is a reduced ability for the filter system to manage the conversion of ammonia to nitrites,....."
and then:
"At 55 degrees, the nitrifying bacteria in our filters begin to die off as well, although they will not be completely gone until about 42 degrees F. The effect of this is that our filters begin to loose the ability to eliminate nitrites."

Both assertions can not be correct. But which one is the correct statement? How is the hobbyist reader to know? The author does not cite any sources for his information. If he did, even he might have seen the contradiction and performed the necessary editing before publishing this article.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We don't "feed" our fish from mid to late October until late April or early May. But every spring they are larger than they were going in to winter, so we know they are eating something down there!

We're having a warm fall, so the fish are still active and hungry, but cooler days (and nights) this week will slow them down.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I noticed yesterday while looking at my pond that the fish have already stripped the liner clean of all the good muck they like to eat over winter .I feed depending on water temps. and we don't get that cold and pond is near septic tank so it gets heat from it .I guess feeding depends on where you live and what the winters are like from one year to the next .Last year was a mild winter for most of us and then around Feb. we paid for the mild winter .Not sure what this winter will be like .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I noticed yesterday while looking at my pond that the fish have already stripped the liner clean of all the good muck they like to eat over winter .I feed depending on water temps. and we don't get that cold and pond is near septic tank so it gets heat from it .I guess feeding depends on where you live and what the winters are like from one year to the next .Last year was a mild winter for most of us and then around Feb. we paid for the mild winter .Not sure what this winter will be like .

Dont worry.. my AstroFish (that would be my red-white bubble eye goldfish) says it's gonnna get cold fast!!!

But not to worry about him cause in addition to his Precognition powers, he has the power to become invisible when no one is looking at him, and the power to teleport to the exact same location where he is.

Attachments

• IMG_6913.JPG
    IMG_6913.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am going to have to wait until next year to replace the liner again .They guy went missing who said he was going to pay for the liner that the dog sliced .But my camera did pick him up taking his dog away and I have his name He turned his cell phone off

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States

Yet in the very next section, the author starts to refute this statement with:
"At 62 degrees, the activity of the nitrosomonas bacteria begins to reduce significantly. The effect of this, of course, is a reduced ability for the filter system to manage the conversion of ammonia to nitrites,....."
and then:
"At 55 degrees, the nitrifying bacteria in our filters begin to die off as well, although they will not be completely gone until about 42 degrees F. The effect of this is that our filters begin to loose the ability to eliminate nitrites."

Both assertions can not be correct. But which one is the correct statement? How is the hobbyist reader to know? The author does not cite any sources for his information. If he did, even he might have seen the contradiction and performed the necessary editing before publishing this article.

Arguing for the sake of arguing... Nitrosomonas bacteria is not the same as Nitrifying bacteria and they can survive different temperature ranges is what is sounds like in those two statements.

Ask a Question