Winter activities, no, not ponds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
This winter it would be great if we can get out to more winter activities that we enjoy. Some of these things require some advanced bookings. We are going to try to start booking some activities in the next few weeks.
Sometimes weather prevents us from going out, but we still try.
Some of the things my wife and I enjoy are the philharmonic, ballets and operas.
I'm wondering what you folks in the south do for winter activities?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We head south, most of the time, walk the beaches, play in the sun. Or if we stay home, we do the normal, walk the streets (daily walk) go to the health club, maybe finally purge the basement and whatever else catches our fancy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We try to get Handel's Messaih for the philharmonic and the Nutcracker for the ballet, but the opera will be a new one for us.
Bonus points if I don't fall asleep.(y)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol Enjoy, I have never gotten into opera or ballet. My older sister was.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I try to get out and hike as much as I can in winter, until a big snowstorm prevents it.. However it should be illegal to say that "w" word this time of year. ;)
There's never much to see in winter, but hiking helps against cabin fever.

Right now I'm just focused on two more months of Summer and three months of Fall. I'll pretend Spring follows that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have to admit I do enjoy a bit of a break from the gardens - I think our harsh winters make us appreciate spring and summer so much more. We tend to go see movies, try to catch a play or two, spend time with family... and do lots of hibernating! I spend a good amount of time gazing out the back windows, though, imagining... dreaming... planning... and waiting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I too walk daily. I enjoy cooking and baking more in the winter. Reading and swimming indoors. I'm thinking about trying my hand at sewing or knitting, it's been years since I've done either. I'm also considering some new volunteer opportunities.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Knitting, knitting, and more knitting!!! Oh, and yarn shopping. Then knitting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Beach, pond, garden, laugh at snow pictures... Should I continue?? LOL
Now, that's really "Cold"!:)

I whine, and cry about the cold, the wind that makes it worse, and the number of times I have to use the snowblower in a week. I keep threatening to put my snowblower on my boat trailer and haul it towards "tbendl's" area. When someone asks me what is that thing on the trailer, I'll drive another hundred miles and homestead.
Actually, I mind winters less than I used to. The heat and humidity bother me more than the cold. I can always put on a sweater or heavier shirt.

I have a small shop attached to the house, there's a wood stove in there along with a coffee pot, small fridge, my iPod, the dog, and model building tools. I kind of relish the idea of not being able to do anything outside.:happy: I agree with Lisak1, it's a time to dream of spring projects, and gives us something to look forward to..........unlike some of you who have to suffer one perfect day after another. :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
unlike some of you who have to suffer one perfect day after another. :D

Precisely! We should really feel sorry for our poor suffering neighbors to the south! What a struggle they have to live with year after year after year... :rolleyes:

Ask a Question