Winter and Hyacinth

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

In my koi pond I have 20-30 water hyacinths. It is goign to b winter so wanted to ask folks if the hyacinths will survive through the winter. I am in the Bay Area in San jose and temperatures do not fall below 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit and no snow or ice.

Does anyone know if they will survive and if there is anythign that can be done to keep them healthy?

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Mine survived here, but it is a dwarf hyacinth. Totally vanished all winter, and popped up on it's own early this summer. We get in the teens for temp. Don't understand it.

Warm as you are, put some in a big bucket in a sunny spot, but sink the bucket in the ground. Put plastic with holes in it or something transparent but with holes over your bucket, if the day is warm, take the cover off. Should do fine.

BTW, if the water fouls, you might have to change it. A little garden soil added or compost will give it the nutrients it needs to survive.

Reaction score
So what about the excess nitrates in the water? With the hyacinths gone, how will the nitrates be controlled? OR is it that the less protein will produce less wastes and less nitrates?

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Bingo. Less food = less waste = less nitrates. Depends on how cold your water actually gets, but your nitrifying bacteria may die off for the cwinter, like mine will. So, nothing to produce nitrates from the waste anyway. What you'll have to be concerned about is ammonia, just keep up with partial water changes (be sure to dechlor) and keep some Amquel or zeolite on hand for any emergency with ammonia.

Better yet, DrDave has water temps like yours, might ask him.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I am at the base of a mountain range, inland 20 miles. My temps are mid 30's at times. I have a lot of trouble keeping WL & WH alive all winter.

Reaction score
Thanks DrDave. My temeperatures are about 50, do you think they will survive? They are now getting brownish. is that a sign of them dying?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Water hyacinth are fickle plants, I don't sell them amymore because of the constant cleaning of the brown bulbs. You can cut off the brown and if there is enough left in the spring they will come back.

Ask a Question