Winter and Koi

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am in the bay area in CA in San Jose and winters are around the corner. This is my first time for the koi pond in winter and so the post.

The temperature in our area drops to 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit during winters but there is never snow or ice. I have koi and water hyacinth in my pond along with a skippy style bio filter. I am not planning to take my koi indoors because I don't have provisions for that. Is there anything special I need to do during the winters to make sure my koi and plants make it through? like, add chemicals, feed less, fertilizer or anythign else etcetera.

Any help would be appreciated.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
You're pretty good at those temperatures. Might slightly adjust feeding (reduce), search engine for koi feeding or koi feeding chart to find a chart giving temperatures and feeding recommendations. No chemicals, though, ever if possible. IMHO.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
outside air termps are not what you want to go by....its water temps...stop feeding if the water gets to 50*f and stays that way for a couple of days straight. until then at 60* start a feeding schedule of wheatgerm based food ,as it is highly digestable,creates less waste, this is important due to a slower metabolism and digestive tract in the fish at the lower water temps. and the bacterial colony in the pond and filter is somewhat diminished and weakened

Reaction score
I noticed my hyacinth has in the past few days becoming whit - they used to be nice and green. Is that due to the cold? WIll the hyacinths also survive the 40-50 degrees weatehr.

Reaction score
The water hyacinths will not survive. They are semi-tropical. Mine usually really start going down hill once the water temp gets around 60 and lower. Make sure to get them out so they do not pollute the water.
I wish my water only got that cold. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your winters are about the same as ours. I don't feed below 55 degrees If it goes above 55 I feed a little twice a week.
I still test the water parameters and I do cover my pond which keeps it warmer.
I also bypass my waterfalls water.
sachinsoni said:
Hi Folks,

I am in the bay area in CA in San Jose and winters are around the corner. This is my first time for the koi pond in winter and so the post.

The temperature in our area drops to 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit during winters but there is never snow or ice. I have koi and water hyacinth in my pond along with a skippy style bio filter. I am not planning to take my koi indoors because I don't have provisions for that. Is there anything special I need to do during the winters to make sure my koi and plants make it through? like, add chemicals, feed less, fertilizer or anythign else etcetera.

Any help would be appreciated.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
My dwarf hyacinth survived last winter outside - and last winter was a booger. Thought it was gone, but came up again in early summer. I'll keep some inside, it's just a great version of a useful plant.

Mostly, I think, you try to cut protein in the fish diet as it cools. With no stomachs, and slowed metabolism, protein can rot before it's digested. Anyone here can say if you have a different opinion, or correct me if you know better facts.

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies guys.
I am going to get the wheat germ based food as koiguy suggested which goes with all the advice from the other folks on cutting protein. I don't really want to cover my pond but that may be an option as well.

Ask a Question