Winter and the belt-and-braces man

Abe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B-5A
Country
Canada
This being my first winter with a pond, naturally I did my due googling to find out

how to go about protecting my 14 commoners from the harsh Canadian reality.

Being also somewhat frugal , or as I like to call it - practical , I voted unanimously

to keep my ice-hole open by an aerator, as I could use an aerator all year round,

and we all know you can never have too much air.

Air pump need protection too apparently so I built it a little house to shelter it

from the elements , and the two tantalizing -blue air stones sat on their own raised

nests just a foot below the surface. All worked perfectly. Life is good.

As the snow start falling and I was confined to my computer , I did some more

googling and to my lingering unease found some not so favorable opinions on

this system. Frozen airlines might stop working just when you need them most.

I definitely needed a back-up plan. It's a life-or-death situation so money no object,

I rushed and bought a black & stainless all-business 250W deicer , it will float like a

black duck , ready to be plugged-in once the bubbles slow down and freeze up.

Just to make sure this brand-new-out-of-the-packaging unit is not a defective one

and will fail me at the crucial moment I thought I’ll try it first. My pond is 2.5 feet

deep so no ice was forming yet , but at fall I had dug a smaller pond, only 12” deep and

lined it full of water , but than thought I might make a bog filter out of it next summer,

so left it as is for now. This pond had a thin crust of ice forming at the edges ,

so I thought will be perfect testing ground.

Left the deicer to float , plugged in , next to the ice crust, over night.

It worked like a charm – the morning after I found it bobbing in it's little puddle

of water while the bog-to-be pond all around it is completely frozen solid.

I was about to move it to it’s permanent station in the big fish pond when I realized

the deicer’s electrical cord is frozen solid at the bottom , and going nowhere till spring.

Last edited:

Ask a Question