winter boi lift in summer

Glitter

Glitter
Reaction score
Hello.....glitter here.

I've been a newbie here for a year and am thinking I"ll always be one :)

After a long time of fighting with high levels of nitrite (Amonia and PH are good) I did a 25% water change (in a 1000 gallon pond) 3 days in a row. Finally,
all tests came out perfect. Stayed that way for a week. While we've been fighting algae since spring, I've been cleaning my pump filter daily as it's full of green
sludge. (850 and 650gph pumps and 2 boi filters 2000 and 600gph). All was well until I got a wild hair and thought I should clean the boi filters since I have so
much sludge in pump filter. Now my nitrate is at 1ppm and amonia is .25ppm. Should I do the water changes again and I have some sring/fall boi lift. Would
it hurt to put a little of that in to give te bio filter a boost.

Please don't make me feel too stupid :)

Reaction score
hello glitter... no one is gonna make you feel stupid... the spring/fall lift should work as well, it was designed to work at lower temps for the fall, but me for one thought they all did basically the same thing... somehow the spring/fall one works better at lower temps...warm weather will get bacteria growing and thriving anyways

Reaction score
i wouldn't worry too much about being so low of a reading as it should go down to zero... nitrate though is most likely what has made your pond cloudy.. generally i would say the bacteria got a little overwhelmed and didn't keep up... could have been from cleaning out the filter... keep a close eye on the levels and they should start to go back down in a couple of days

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
How do you clean your filter glitter ?
Make sure you only use pond water and you should be good to go
I don't worry or even look in my filter i just flush out the bottom and go on

Reaction score
An environment can support a certain bacteria population and bacteria do a good job of reproducing to fill an environment. Adding bacteria wouldn't expand that environment. Studies show that the added bacteria only serve as food for other bacteria that kill and feed on the good bacteria. So adding bacteria expands the environment for killer bacteria which isn't a good idea imo.

Adding bacteria is used in specific cases such as when a large new aquarium is first installed and fish have to be added right away. By doing so they might cycle the bio filter a day or two faster and that saves them a lot of work so it's worth it.

Glitter

Glitter
Reaction score
wow.....thanks so much for the insight. And no I didn't use the the pond water. I've read to use it and than other say it doesn't matter. Pond temp
has been between between 78 and 82 degrees. I should have also mention, that I don't over feed. I'm aslo obsessed with netting up waste. I could
do it for hours. Wierd, I know but thank agian and I'll clean with pond water from now on. Don't know what I'd do without this forum. Probably fill
my pond in with dirt. :)

Glitter

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
aww don't do that! all is fixable

Ask a Question