winter breeding ?

Reaction score
this is a question just out of interest, (mainly for those who winter their fish indoors), when you have your fish indoors for the winter do you keep your water temps the same as they usually are outside during summer ? and if so do the fish still try to breed ? is fish breeding habits controled solely by water temps or could it be partially effected by daylight hours ? as i say it doesnt concern me, my fish stay outside was just something i was wondering about.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Mogsie; I keep goldfish in a large tub in the basement, and when I went down to feed them about three weeks ago I noticed that they were mouthing the hornwort floating in the water. They were actually feeding on eggs from a spawning! The water is around 17C, but I had added some slightly warmer water the day before. Lights are on all day over the tub. John

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i dont winter mine in tubs like HARO but i do have an 800 gal pond in my my basement that my fish (koi only) winter in.(the outside pond is their summer vacation home..lol). i keep the water in the mid - upper 50*s (f). they havent yet spawned in the basement. but they did start to spawn the very same night they went back outside this last summer. jameskoi (a member here) had his koi spawn in his basement pond as well.

Ask a Question