Winter care-Submersible pumps

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It is recommended by almost everyone, including manufacturers, that if a submersible pump is removed from a pond for winter storage it must be kept in water. The reasoning given is that this prevents the seals from drying out and causing pump failure when the pump is put back on-line come Spring.
Yet.....those of us that have been involved in pond construction and maintenance have at least one submersible pump that is used for pond clean-outs. These pumps are subjected to constant and frequent drying and re-wetting yet perform without issue. In fact, I have a Little Giant 1200 gph submersible that I have used for about 20 years as a clean-out pump and it still performs as if new even after countless times of being dried out.
Can anyone enlighten me with an explanation for this apparent contradiction.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
It is recommended by almost everyone, including manufacturers, that if a submersible pump is removed from a pond for winter storage it must be kept in water. The reasoning given is that this prevents the seals from drying out and causing pump failure when the pump is put back on-line come Spring.
Yet.....those of us that have been involved in pond construction and maintenance have at least one submersible pump that is used for pond clean-outs. These pumps are subjected to constant and frequent drying and re-wetting yet perform without issue. In fact, I have a Little Giant 1200 gph submersible that I have used for about 20 years as a clean-out pump and it still performs as if new even after countless times of being dried out.
Can anyone enlighten me with an explanation for this apparent contradiction.
Because in our country of litigation even something with the smallest propability must come with a warning to CYA. Just look at a drug ad written or on TV there is more about what may happen then info about the drugs use. Labels on plastic bags to warn adults to keep them away from kids, fumes aT a gas pump, . I can go on and on
So with the pumps rubber is known to dry out and fail whether it's this season or in ten . A warning or recommendation takes the responsibility off the manufacturer and places it on the consumer

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yup, weird stuff Meyer.

My pump-out pump has been around for years and years (Proline Hy-Drive 4800). It gets hooked up a fire-hose now and then, does its thing and then gets tossed into the back of a covered pick-up bed to bake in the sun.

Come winter it gets tossed onto a shelf in an unheated shop area where it languishes until Spring, when it goes through the same routine it did the year before.

I've never cleaned it out (other than a quick rinse with garden hose), I've never serviced it, I've never replaced a seal or an impeller.

Tough old beast.......which is why I've installed a whole whack of them over the years.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Gordo, as to the "warnings" for prescriptions..........my favorite is for that new anti-depressant that warns that one of the side effects is "suicidal thoughts".

Reaction score
I think Gordo hit the nail on the head.

Interestingly though my main pump (a 3,500 gph Sequence pump) leaks slightly on the motor side of the pump chamber shaft seal every spring when I start it up after sitting "dry" for several months. However, it seals itself up after a few weeks of constantly running the pond water through it. So dried out seals can seal again even if they dry out. Of course, your mileage may vary.
The other thing is how they are stored. Anything left out and exposed to the elements (mainly the Sun) will dry out and degrade faster than stuff kept in a dark place with a constant temperature and at an appropriate humidity for the item being stored.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Had same issue. I've had pumps that have dried out and been used again and again and others, primarily constant use pond pumps that fail if not kept wet. Now I keep them all wet!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Ozone and UV light is the real killer of rubber seals, keeping the pump wet reduces both. I've had more electrical cords go bad on my pumps than have had seals go bad.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I've had two separate pumps go bad that ran all winter only to go bad in spring? One was leaking oil.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am sure that the basic quality of the pump has a lot to do with it. A less expensive pump will have less expensive poorer quality materials used in manufacturing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure about that because for years I had the harbor freight pumps and my neighbor is still using 2 of them in her pond .I bought laguna because of energy savings .But those 2 harbor freight ones are still going strong
pics on durecell back up 490.JPG
pics on durecell back up 985.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am sure that the basic quality of the pump has a lot to do with it. A less expensive pump will have less expensive poorer quality materials used in manufacturing.
My external pump has been running off and on for over 20 years now. More on than off We do pull it every winter, stick it in the basement.

It was not cheap............ but has more than paid for itself.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think it all goes on the luck of the draw when you buy a pump .The same one may not be the same each time or last as long .So far my new laguna ones are doing great .I was going to get external but with the weird weather we have ,I would have to figure out when to bring it in .I would probably still need a submersible ,knowing me .

Reaction score
I can't say but I would suspect that it is just another urban legend. If it's in print it must be so. The last seal that I replaced on a pump was in the 60's on a swimming pool. It wore out from use and not by rot. In those days they didn't have the materials that they have today and the seals still lasted forever.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think it just boils down to the quality of plastics used.
Cheap plastics will cause problems with cracking of the insulation wire, impeller plastic casings that leak will cause the impeller magnet to swell and fail.
Maybe manufacturers that say the pump should be kept submerged are trying to keep the plastic in a more stable submerged environment so the stresses of temperature expansion/contraction that can cause plastic cracking is less of a concern.

Ask a Question