Winter evaporation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can see a slow steady drop of water inside the clear tube, is that enough or should it be a stream? When I pull it out I do hear the pump running, but it barely gets any water up that tube

Last edited:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It only needs to move a small amount if water past heat cable. That's the great thing about the pond breather, it doesn'tuse a lot of energy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Think it uses 40 watts
Maybe I’m dumb, but how does this work? I didn’t realize until I opened it today that it had a pump—I thought it was just a heater that kept a hole. What value does that INCREDIBLY slow drip of water add?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It keeps a hole in the ice to allow gas exchange. You are not dumb. Most of us have been down this path so please don't be shy asking. It is not like a pond heater that cycles on and off keeping a six inch hole in the water rather, it heats a very small amount of water and keeps ice from blocking the tube which links the pond to the atmosphere. It is actually oxygenating tremendous amount of water in the pond. Also, don't worry if it 'lists' slightly. It is still working. I don't think it is a good idea to pull it out when plugged in. I am sure it is working. Let it do it's job tonight. It will freeze in place as it is supposed to do.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Make sure the tube coming out of the small pump is not pinched. One of mine was and the flow was pinched down. It should be a steady small stream of water more than a drip but not a real fast flow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Make sure the tube coming out of the small pump is not pinched. One of mine was and the flow was pinched down. It should be a steady small stream of water more than a drip but not a real fast flow.
So the tube isn’t pinched, I’m pretty sure about that. But the unit is frozen solid in place and I don’t see water moving at all in that tube. Supposed to be -9 tonight with wind chills much worse, so I’m not getting through that ice without some real effort. Without water moving in that pond breather is it still allowing a gas exchange or is it just a pretty pond decoration now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pulled the unit yesterday and looked at it today. Opened the cage the pump is in and the tube connected to the pump was totally pinched at 90 degrees. Fixed that and put it back it, water flowin like a charm.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had two come that way, totally pinched tubes. Glad you got it fixed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Must be me but I prefer a pond deicer .I figure my pumps are off so I am saving electricity there so a 100 watt pond heater is good enough .I don't live where it really gets that cold but I prefer to know it is working .But they do keep saying that the south will be the new north and the north will be the new south ,so you never know .A hoop house over a pond holds the heat in .I got a solar pool cover at the dump but have not used it yet .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
My pump is off right now because the filters got clogged but it's too cold to do any water changes. So I'm just waiting for a warmer day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK Back to evaporation in January.My pond never freezes but i lost 1/2" of water in less then 24 Hrs. The temps last night were in the low 30's waterfalls were off. Again is that normal?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Was it windy out because that can suck the water right out of the pond .I always have that happen to me

Ask a Question